THis is not an easy thread to read, it is a pandora's box of issues and history. The original article, which I've not read, can hardly be seen as open minded and placing it on SWC was boudn to lead to a robust reaction.

We are here to learn from each other's different experiences. Painful thtough they maybe, debate and learning is not conflict-free.

I watched the Bosnia conflict, which was regularly reported in the UK, often with a news report every night, notably by Martin Bell of the BBC. Yes, many got bored and confused by our role in UNPROFOR. Colonel Bob Stewart's description of Bosnia and asking why we were there had a massive public impact.

The UK government's policy, a Conservative government, held to the crazy policy of a "level playing field", which nothing like level or a playing field. It disgusted me, but I was in a tiny minority who wanted forceful action taken. The UK public, let alone others in UNPROFOR, were unwilling to accept casualties until very late on.

Many subscribe to the view that the reporting and imagery of the mortar bombing of a Sarejevo market, by CNN and others, finally changed public opinion in Europe and the USA. General Sir Michael Rose's book, one of the few I've read on Bosnia, has good chapters on this period.

We need to learn all the time and it is difficult.

davidbfpo