Thread: Good News sources

Default Good News sources

I'm looking for any good daily, free, on-line news sources relating to defense, foreign affairs, and intelligence. Thanks.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Oh dang. Have you heard of RSS?

Well to start

CNN.com (International)

GovExec

DHS Open Source Infrastructure Report

igoogle (for news)
    Google News Alerts to your email for what you want
    Small Wars Journal Blog (Daily roundup)
    RAND

On SWJ check out the blog roll and find sites you like and get their RSS feeds. Unfortunately many only provide summaries (I usually dump those) others provide full story feeds (I read them).

There are a variety of think tanks and other places. If you don't have a PC at hand use Google Reader to aggregate any and all feeds and even sites that are not RSS enabled. All you need is a browser and you can share, link, and notate different feeds using google reader.

Don't make the mistake many do with regards to BLOGS. Many people are quite closely tied in so once something becomes open source or exists as open source they can talk about it. Some BLOGS are primarily discussing the daily news and little original content. You can pick up trends from them. Other BLOGS are about complete original content (like mine) where I and contributors rarely discuss other peoples work other than daily news posts that have no commentary.

Check out the Australian News, and BBC News. Australian is better and the sites have different feels as far as military matters are concerned. One great overseas site that seems to have been abandoned is Swedish Meatballs. Always good to read but no new posts in months.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

CFR does a daily opinion roundup: http://www.cfr.org/publication/by_type/dor.html

I regularly read Uskowi on Iran - very good source of news on Iran from a guy who is an analyst: http://uskowioniran.blogspot.com/

Good one for Pakistan: http://pakistaniat.com/

I stumbled upon this a few months ago and bookmarked it: http://passing-interest.blogspot.com/
    I'm not sure what it is, but check out all of the links in the right column.

Regarding military news - specifically Iraq/Afghanistan - The Long War Journal does a good job. It's just not updated often enough or comprehensive in scope on a daily basis. But it is the only news site where it is assumed that readers have a fundamental understanding of the military and the current conflict. Occasionally it gets into the nuts and bolts of specific issues to a degree that you will not read elsewhere. The comments are often very informative as well. Roggio understands the deal with "rogue JAM" and why we use the terminology - little things like that make it head and shoulders above other news sources.

I've got nothing for the intel news. Perhaps Intel Dump?

I will say, fully aware of what forum I am on, that antiwar.com is an excellent site. It comes from the "Old Right" and Libertarian perspective more then dyed in the wool liberalism.

Shane Harris is a Intelligence and Homeland Security Correspondent for National Journal, I recommend his stuff. The national security crowd at McClatchy news just started a blog Nukes & Spooks, pretty good. The Jamestown Foundation's Terrorism Monitor, Terrorism Focus, and Eurasia Daily Monitor is required reading. FAS's Secrecy News is excellent, as is Cryptome, both cover the intel world. Power and Interest News Report is a pretty good site covering world affairs.

EurasiaNet has solid news coverage, Paul Goble has a blogWindow On Eurasia that is excellent in this area also. BookForum took over the Political Theory Daily Review, still pretty good. Friday Lunch Club is good blog covering the Middle East, as is Augustus Norton's less frequently updated blog.

I admire and appreciate Laura Rozen's reporting on national security issues and her blog War & Piece. Steve Clemons The Washington Note is very good as well.

This guy has some interesting stuff from time to time: http://feraljundi.com/
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 06-11-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks for the links. Keep them coming.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

You can obtain an incredible amount of information regarding what sources board members find useful simply by reading through the forums and seeing where the various links lead. There are also specific threads on the board that discuss blogs and think tanks, as well as tools for monitoring updates to those websites.

Having said that, I will go ahead and second Bourbon's recommendation for the Jamestown Foundation. It is probably the best free website that publishes focused reporting and analysis on a regular (daily and weekly) basis. There are plenty of others that are very good, but they tend to post new articles/papers/reports on an irregular basis.

I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned the International Relations and Security Network.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Just discovered and unsure how useful: http://gulf2000.columbia.edu/
    My understanding is that there is a message board or email list for Gulf2000 that is very good, but has a limited distribution. I do not know how you can get on it, it may be academics only.

Raman's Strategic Analysis - B. Raman was head of CT ops for RAW, the Indian intelligence service, also associated with South Asia Analysis Group. Good coverage of Pakistan and Central Asia, has some very interesting writings on the ISI.

European Strategic Intelligence & Security Center
    - French site but publishes some articles in english. Covers terrorism, intel, OC, and assorted strategic issues.

Asia Times Online - Covers some interesting not picked up in MSM, some lefty stuff. Good coverage of Pakistan and Afghanistan by Syed Saleem Shahzad.

Religion, Nationalism, and Terror - A "virtual filing cabinet" type blog

Terrorism Research News
    - More from the academy, "Collating details of social and behavioural research on terrorism and responses to terrorism"
    Just found out about a new journal via this site that will be of interest here: Dynamics of Asymmetric Conflict . Currently has free access.

Vital Concerns for the World - A blog by anthropology professor Dr. Robert Canfield, specializing in terrorism, south & central Asia.

Jefferey Goldberg at The Atlantic
    - not bad, politics and international relations.

Tickle the Wire - "Tapping into the latest news in Federal Law Enforcement"
    TickleTheWire.com
    TickleTheWire.com features federal law enforcement news from around the country. The site includes reports from newspapers and wire services including the New York Times, Washington Post, Miami Herald, the Associated Press and Los Angeles Times. It also includes original reporting from top-notch journalists. The targeted audience is the more 300,000 people in federal law enforcement as well as the media, academics and the general public. The name for the site, TickleTheWire.com, comes from a law enforcement term, which means to create a situation that will encourage targets of a probe to talk on a wiretapped phone. TickleTheWire.com welcomes suggestions for news stories or comments at lengela@ticklethewire.com.

ALLAN LENGEL, Editor & Founder
    The editor of TickleTheWire.com is Allan Lengel, a veteran journalist who has covered law enforcement at major publications including the Washington Post and the Detroit News. He also served as an intern under the late investigative columnist Jack Anderson. Over the years, Mr. Lengel has covered major events including the 9-11 attacks, the Congressman William Jefferson investigation, the Chandra Levy probe, the anthrax attacks and the Oklahoma City bombing. He is also an adjunct professor of journalism at the University of Maryland.

Council Member

Default News Source?

I would be remiss were I not to mention Rantburg.com

there are a bunch of RSS feeds on the left side of the page at www.grognews.com - including Yahoo's military news feed, Armchair Generalist, Danger Room, DefenseTech, and DoDBuzz, plus SWJ of course!

Personal faves? I love me some Danger Room, and I also like Mountain Runner and DefenseTech

There are also links to about 25 or so news sources and another dozen or so military gaming resources.
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!