Part of the key may lie in the Department of State, but I'm not sure if their infrastructure is sound enough to carry consistent policy evaluation these days. If current events are any clue, I would say that it is not...
I am more optimistic. The FS is changing and for the better. It has a ways to go but the demands placed on it in the past 5 years alone have done much to move its central ethos in a different direction. Used to be the FS saw the initial entry process as a validation of its elite status; we got in and therefore we are the best. The military offers the ethic you can come in and become the best. The new FS selection process is a step toward the latter and that is a good thing.

Now where I am not optimistic is in the political policy arm--those political appointees who are in because of their allegiance to a political party and its agenda. There is where inconsistent policy evaluation starts and as Wayne offered the search for a holy grail. Funny that I worked with these political wonks from the Democratic party camp and their goal in Africa was "democracy". The means they put forth to achieve that end were quite different from the means put forth by the current administration for the same goals.

Then again I have to say that my latter concerns apply equally to the political apparatus that gets installed in the Pentagon with every change in the White House so I am not at all sure we can just point to State for a lack of consistent policy.

Tom