Thread: Duffers Drift Redux: Nightmare on Wazir Street

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Rico View Post
    having just read fmfm 1a (http://www.d-n-i.net/fcs/pdf/fmfm_1-a.pdf), i couldn't help but notice the difference in the proportionate-ness of the artillery response in wazir street (i have no war experience by the way) to operation david as illustrated.

is this a marine/army difference? thanks in advance for your explanations.
    Having served in MNF-W, the Marines have no more or less compunction than the Army in employing artillery or airstrikes in urban terrain when required.

The theater guidance is the same for all services. Implimentation rests on the front line commanders. I have never seen a systemic difference, but one that varied by the region each commander was in.

I will say I fired more arty and airstrikes in MNF-W in 2006 in a month than we did in all of Tal Afar over a year.

Finally, realize that employing GMLRS or Excalibur is far different than a conventional fire mission. Without going too far down the classifed route, these weapons have highly focused effects that minimize collateral damage.
    Last edited by Cavguy; 08-25-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    Having served in MNF-W, the Marines have no more or less compunction than the army in employing artillery or airstrikes in urban terrain when required.

The theater guidance is the same for all services. Implimentation rests on the front line commanders. I have never seen a systemic difference, but one that varied by the region each commander was in.

I will say I fired more arty and airstrikes in MNF-W in 2006 in a month than we did in all of Tal Afar over a year.

Finally, realize that employing GMLRS or Excalibur is far different than a conventional fire mission. Without going too far down the classifed route, these weapons have highly focused effects that minimize collateral damage.
    He's also referring to the DNI stuff, which is created for the 'notional' Austro-Hungarian Marine Corps....sort of Lind's play army when it comes to his theoretical writings. It can be hard to tell the difference, especially if you just pick up one of those things without the cover...something that makes one wonder at times.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    He's also referring to the DNI stuff, which is created for the 'notional' Austro-Hungarian Marine Corps....sort of Lind's play army when it comes to his theoretical writings. It can be hard to tell the difference, especially if you just pick up one of those things without the cover...something that makes one wonder at times.
    Ahhh ... DNI

I have read that paper before. I guess it put me off at the beginning with this:

Quote Originally Posted by DNI
    America's greatest military theorist, Air Force Colonel John Boyd, used to say,
    That said, overall it's not bad.

Most of the concepts are sound counterinsurgency guidance dating back to the 60's, with the requisite DNI 4GW propaganda mixed in to make it seem "new".
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?