Thread: Keeping Secretary of Defense Gates in the next administration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    I think what is so refreshing about Gates stems at least in part to the fact he has always viewed this as a temporary assignment. He reluctantly came out of a posh job and apparrently wants to go back to it and so has no further political ambitions. As a result, I think he's more inclined to do what he thinks is the right thing to do more than another secretary might be.

So I think his chances of staying on, even if asked, are slim, but I think his temporary stint shows what a competent individual with no political ambitions or axes to grind can do.
    Which, sadly, makes me think that he's the last of his kind we'll see for some time.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default Transition in Time of War

Transition in Time of War
    by SWJ Editors

Gordon Lubold has an informative article in today’s Christian Science Monitor titled Pentagon Ponders Transition in Time of War.

The Pentagon is making a pointed effort to ensure that the transition to a new administration in January 2009 – the first time in 40 years that a handover of power will take place during wartime – goes smoothly, minimizing the risk of disruptions or attacks on military operations during the changeover….
    Well worth reading in its entirety - and we even get a plug.

Meanwhile, Gates's reputation for demanding accountability without trumpeting his own personality is popular across the department and in Congress, too. "I think he may be the best secretary of defense we ever had," says one active-duty Army officer in high-level circles.

Now, some would like him to stay on. One respected website devoted to irregular warfare called the Small Wars Journal contains an open letter to the new administration asking that whoever wins to consider keeping Gates.
    Shortest, but Most Important SWJ Post to Date - Small Wars Journal, 13 June 2008

Council Member

Secretary Gates' testimony on the challenges facing the Department of Defense to the Senate Armed Services Committee, 27 Jan 09:
    Mr. Chairman, Senator McCain, members of the committee:

Thank you for the opportunity to provide an overview of challenges facing the
    Department of Defense and some of my priorities for the coming year. In doing so, I am mindful that the new administration has only been in place for a few days and new or changing policies will likely arise in coming months. Later this spring, I will present President Obama’s defense budget, and, at that time, will be better equipped to discuss the details of his vision for the Department.

On a personal note, I want to thank many of you for your very kind farewell remarks at my last hearing. I assure you that you are no more surprised to see me back than I am. In the months ahead, I may need to re-read some of those kind comments to remind myself of the warm atmosphere up here as I was departing. Seriously, I am humbled by President Obama’s faith in me, and deeply honored to continue leading the United States military. I thank the committee for your confidence in my leadership and your enduring, steadfast support of the military.

I’d like to start by discussing our current operations before moving on to my ongoing institutional initiatives......