Thread: Army Imitates Apple (Computer Company) To Draw New Recruits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Army Imitates Apple (Computer Company) To Draw New Recruits

Why in this forum? Because advertising is information warfare.

This is likely a great move for the Army after several lackluster advertising campaigns. Apple has one of the most visible brands on the planet, and their store program unlike other computer companies works in ways people never expected.

LINK TO STORY

The U.S. Army, experiencing a stagnant recruiting situation, is going experiential.

The Army plans to unveil a pilot concept recruitment center in late August that was inspired by the interactivity of Apple Stores. The center, opening in a city that's yet to be determined, will be built around virtual simulations and other experiential marketing techniques to engage visitors.

Seeing the success of Apple retail centers—as well as attractions like the ESPN Zone—prompted Edward Walters, CMO of the U.S. Army, to make a tactical change. "In the past we've focused on traditional media vehicles. [But] the millennial generation is used to engaging in interactive assets and we need to adapt to them."

If the test proves successful, many centers will be opened around the country.

The effort comes as the number of new recruits for the active Army decreased minimally last year, per the Dept. of Defense.

More at the link
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Sounds like an interesting idea - one that I think may work.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Sounds like an interesting idea - one that I think may work.
    Yes, but is that a good thing? As much as the Army needs recruits, is this the type of recruit that they should be looking for? Let me put it this way, "Are we that desperate?"

Apple does not care who is buying their product, but shouldn't the Army? Apple is selling toys and games, the Army is not a game. Also, this is going to play right into the hands of the people claiming that "Violent Video Games Kill People."

The Apache simulator allows a pilot and co-pilot to experience the aircraft and its weapons systems. The Black Hawk helicopter simulator provides four door gunner positions. And, the armored HMMWV vehicle simulator has positions for a driver and several gunners. The centers also will include an area where visitors can compete in America's Army, a videogame released in 2002.
    Adam L
    Last edited by Adam L; 06-15-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Yes, but is that a good thing? As much as the Army needs recruits, is this the type of recruit that they should be looking for? Let me put it this way, "Are we that desperate?"

Adam L
    I don't think it would be so bad. It would likely reach a better demgraphic than
    slum dwellers, druggies, etc.

In principle, I don't see how this is any more deceptive than "Be all you can be," etc.
    He cloaked himself in a veil of impenetrable terminology.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stevely View Post
    I don't think it would be so bad. It would likely reach a better demgraphic than
    slum dwellers, druggies, etc.
    Who? Would this demographic be the lazy unemployed gamer? There may be some negative consequences that come along with drawing people in with simulators. The Army may actually get a few good candidates to consider the service, but they are going to draw in a lot of people who do not belong in there. I think there is potential for simulators. I think that it might be a good idea to have prospective aviation candidates have access to the simulators. Perhaps even some of the ground simulators would be a good idea. I just worry about recruiting people who have a VG view of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevely View Post
    In principle, I don't see how this is any more deceptive than "Be all you can be," etc.
    Wait a minute. "Be all you can be.", is about and innocuous as it gets. So is "Army Strong." I didn't like the "Army of One" shtick, it really sent the wrong message.

Adam L
    Last edited by Adam L; 06-16-2008 at 03:09 AM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Who? Would this demographic be the lazy unemployed gamer? There may be some negative consequences that come along with drawing people in with simulators. The Army may actually get a few good candidates to consider the service, but they are going to draw in a lot of people who do not belong in there. I think there is potential for simulators. I think that it might be a good idea to have prospective aviation candidates have access to the simulators. Perhaps even some of the ground simulators would be a good idea. I just worry about recruiting people who have a VG view of reality.

Wait a minute. "Be all you can be.", is about and innocuous as it gets. So is "Army Strong." I didn't like the "Army of One" shtick, it really sent the wrong message.

Adam L
    Did kids in pre-video game times have a view of reality that really prepared them well for entering service? I had a certain view of the Army playing with plastic guns with my friends growing up and watching TV. Coming off the cattle car at Ft Sill was a pretty rude shock for me when I was 18, and my view of reality had to be drastically updated after that. I just don't think in that regard it's a big worry - kids then as now often have an idealized and romanticized view of being in the military which quickly changes once they enter service (though maybe kids today are much less fit at that age than they were back in the day thanks in part to video games, I have heard there is a problem with low fitness and obesity with prospective recruits?).
    He cloaked himself in a veil of impenetrable terminology.