Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
We lived in pretty tight confines, so eating indoors did not push anyone apart. The same was true of eating in the back of a Bradley in the field - very tight confines. I suspect that the same is true on a FOB. Soldiers are going to eat their MRE in an air-conditioned hut or huddle together to take up refuge from the sun in whatever shade exists. The only time that I recall MRE consumption to be a solitary event was in Ranger School, when you moved toward the center of the patrol base to devour your meal while your buddy pulled security.
Other people have noticed different effects in field exercises and deployments -- especially when compared with other feeding models (hot chow/tray rats).

Again, I suggested that "one could be concerned..." with the second and third order ramifications of how things are done. Perhaps it didn't happen in your case. In has happened in others. It is something to consider, something to keep in mind, a possible tool to keep in one's kit -- that is, using how you feed to affect the demeanor of a unit. Furthermore it's not a one way proposition -- bringing people together is not always the objective, it may also useful to consider how to give people a chance to separate and go their own ways. It could be the one flap of that mythical butterfly's wing....

Finally, that you ate MREs for a long period does not mean that this was how they were meant to be used or that they were, in fact, suitable to that usage.

Regards,
Jill