Thread: Contractors Doing Combat Service Support is a Bad, Bad Idea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Selil,

You say it won't play in Peoria. I actually think it plays well.

In all my travels in the USA, I have yet to hear one US Civilian complain that a soldier deployed for 15 months in a combat zone didn't occasionally deserve a nice meal, an occasional movie, or other luxuries. In fact, people often suggest that the Army isn't doing enough. If the American people were actually sacrificing anything for this war directly the case might be different, but they're not.

Let me dispel the notion, since it comes up often. The "Lobster Thermidor" (actually which are small frozen lobser tails, often dry) soldiers are eating is a special event every few weeks. By far the norm.

It only becomes a problem IMO is the soldiers are just relaxing and not accomplishing anything, or if it is exceedingly wasteful, which it is not. This is not the case.
    Last edited by Cavguy; 06-25-2008 at 04:03 PM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    In all my travels in the USA, I have yet to hear one US Civilian complain that a soldier deployed for 15 months in a combat zone didn't occasionally deserve a nice meal, an occasional movie, or other luxuries. In fact, people often suggest that the Army isn't doing enough. If the American people were actually sacrificing anything for this war directly the case might be different, but they're not.
    Unfortunately that isn't how it works. There are two vectors in magnitude driving the direction of public interest at least. The first vector is the tight media control by the pentagon on reporting from OIF/OEF and the stories that are allowed to percolate beyond that control. The second vector is the choice-reporting by that national news media which drives awareness in the public.

There is a third vector which over rides the other two nearly instantly as it is a personal versus national politics. That is the current state of the individual and their economic status. As that degrades (as it has the last four years) the pain threshold will be met and things will become "different" in their perspective.

I really doubt most people are going to look any Iraq war veteran in the eye and say you suck to their face. If the awareness and perceptions are changed by the media by sensationalizing largesse of the military in Iraq they will vote and actively pursue the replacement of decision makers. Unfortunately most of the patriotic drivel engaged in by the general public stops at their wallet.

I have to disagree while agreeing with Ken though. These things do run in cycles and I am sure he can remember the 70s and what Vietnam did to the military. Tipping points in the public can be tripped by a few key key things. Graft, failure, conspiracy, entitlement, and corruption all can lead to rejection of the current path and good or bad changing the course. Regardless of the pandering of the current media the American way is to hold the do'er accountable and replace the decider.

Please don't get me wrong here. I am not advocating that this happen, or that it reflects the reality (luxurious largesse in combat). However, I am surprised to see anybody argue that reality and the media, let alone the American public, have ever let reality intrude on perception. I am especially surprised to see anybody arguing against, "in all things public", anything but perception drives politics.

Didn't say I liked it but it will have to be dealt with sooner or later.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Wink Bofus can both agree and disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    ...If the awareness and perceptions are changed by the media by sensationalizing largesse of the military in Iraq they will vote and actively pursue the replacement of decision makers. Unfortunately most of the patriotic drivel engaged in by the general public stops at their wallet.
    For example, I agree with that statement except for active pursuit of replacement; I think the second clause negates that; that and the "Yes but he's my SOB" mentality...
    Regardless of the pandering of the current media the American way is to hold the do'er accountable and replace the decider.
    Agree that's the principle but our caste of permanently elected and quite venal and corrupt Senators and Representatives (the great majority, not all) says actual practice is quite different. I'd also suggest that the current American way is to punish the innocent all too often by enacting stupid laws and regulations in a futile and misguided effort to preclude recurrent wrongdoing -- and too frequently to promote the guilty to insure the Peter Principle is applied...
    However, I am surprised to see anybody argue that reality and the media, let alone the American public, have ever let reality intrude on perception. I am especially surprised to see anybody arguing against, "in all things public", anything but perception drives politics.
    Can't speak for others but that's not at all what I'm saying. Perception does drive the train -- but the wisdom of crowds keeps it from going too fast and frequently overrides the perceptions of some. Your wallet interest also intrudes though not totally, a lot of folks will vote against their economic interests to support a firm belief. As they should.
    Didn't say I liked it but it will have to be dealt with sooner or later.
    Later. Much later. It's the American way...