Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
...Sam, the debate about soldiers being soldiers or laborers has been around in this country for some time. I have to admit I'm mixed on it in some ways. There are certainly functions that SHOULD be performed by soldiers (base guards, critical projects, bunker construction), but there are others that may be better contracted out. Have we gone too far with the contracting? Yes. I really think we have. Vietnam and the standard of living that was considered necessary in the rear areas (although not always in the field...or in all areas of Vietnam) accelerated this trend, along with other organizational changes.
I'm inclined to disagree to an extent on the 'base guard' aspect (very much base type dependent) but broadly agree on the others.

The 'standard of living' in the base areas in Viet Nam is an interesting phenomenon. The Navy initially had the support responsibility in-country and did a good job without getting too luxuriously inclined. The Army took over that mission in 1966 and actually ramped down a bit. Until mid '67 and then I think two factors coincided to cause the splurge. First, someone came up with the bright idea that by building big base camps, we could help the Viet Namese economy and provide jobs. I thought that was sort of a dumb way to do that and very detrimental OpSec wise but they didn't ask me. Secondly, I think Westmoreland decided he had a no-win proposition on his hands and decided to take the best care of the Troops he could. He had flaws as a commander but he did always take care of his people.
... How long that lid will stay on is anyone's guess.
Penalty of being old; seen all that before; it raises several minor media firestorms and most pay little attention to it. My guess has always been the 'wisdom of crowds' effect takes over and most people realize what's important and what isn't. Lobster may be sensational but Red Lobster has insured nationwide that it isn't exceptional.