Thread: CSA Sends - Transition Team Commanders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CSA Sends - Transition Team Commanders

Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:32 PM

Subject: CSA Sends - Transition Team Commanders (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
    Caveats: NONE

CSA SENDS

Soldiers that serve on our Transition Teams (TTs) and our Provincial Reconstruction Teams (PRTs) are developing exactly the type of knowledge, skills and abilities that are vital for our Army to be effective in an era of persistent conflict. These are tough, demanding positions and the members of these teams are required to influence indigenous or surrogate forces as they execute missions that are of vital interest to this Nation. The tasks associated with Transition Teams, from direct combat to stability operations, will be a major part of full spectrum engagement in theaters of interest now and for the foreseeable future. I want to ensure that the officers that lead these teams are recognized and given the credit they deserve.

I am directing that the Major's positions on these teams be immediately designated and codified in DA PAM 600-3, for all branches, as Key and Developmental (KD). Any officer holding one of these positions will be considered "KD" for his or her branch as a Major. Additionally, these officers will be afforded the opportunity, should they desire, to hold an additional 12/24 months of a branch specific KD position (e.g. XO, S-3, etc). Our promotion board guidance already stresses the importance of these positions and this additional information will be added to all upcoming board instructions. Additionally, because the success of these teams requires our best leaders, I have directed HRC to award Centralized Selection List (CSL) Credit for LTCs serving specifically in the TT Commander positions that have direct leadership responsibility for a training/transition team.

Therefore, we are creating a new CSL sub-category called "Combat Arms Operations". It will be open to all eligible officers in the Maneuver, Fires and Effects (MFE) branches and to Foreign Area Officers (FAO). It will fall under the Operations category and will be effective on the FY 10 CSL board which meets this September.

As a bridging strategy, for FY09 we will activate officers for these command positions from the alternate lists of all four major MFE command categories - Operations, Strategic Support, Training, and Installation. Officers accepting and who serve will be awarded CSL credit in the Operations category for serving as a Transition Team Commander. Additionally, if selected by the FY 10 CSL board, the officer may opt to command in the category they are selected after completion of their TT Command. Those that do command will receive credit for a second CSL command. If chosen, and they opt not to command, they will still receive credit for their TT command.

Our ability to train and operate effectively with indigenous forces will be a key element of 21st century land power. We need our best involved.

GEN Casey

Default Who'd a thunk it. I think I'll go get

a shot of bourbon and raise my drink to George.

Default Institutionalizing Adaptation

It is hard to imagine a better way to demonstrate that the Army is placing real emphasis on the Transition Team mission--or to rapidly increase the performance of the teams (and hence the job satisfaction of team members) as well as the capability of the Iraqi and Afghan Security Forces they coach, teach, and mentor.

This decision has the potential to change the course of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for the better.

Now about that Combat Advisor Tab...

He must have read my message on the "Ill informed blog post..." thread.

Ok, maybe he could have talked to Conway directly.

But let's be clear, the progression was: Conway, Me, Casey. I can live with that.

Cheers,
    Jill

Council Member

Default Delighted to see

GEN Casey included FAOs in the pool. Once again, it may open the door to becoming generals (perhaps even 4 stars i.e. Fred Woerner) to FAOs. Then, again, it may not.

Cheers

JohnT

Default Great Step Forward; Not There Yet

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    GEN Casey included FAOs in the pool. Once again, it may open the door to becoming generals (perhaps even 4 stars i.e. Fred Woerner) to FAOs. Then, again, it may not.

Cheers

JohnT
    Well I have been wondering for 4 years now what it would take to get some 4Star oompf behind the MiTT effort; this will do nicely. I would like to see an encouragement/incentive offered that would prompt battalion commanders to then take a MiTT team as a progressive step. Maybe that is asking too much. Still as JohnT notes it is great that FAOs will get this opportunity--hopefully that would qualify them for selection to the War College as a resident student, another longstanding gap in the Army's commom sense locker. Finally I would have also encouraged the CSA to add PRT leaders to this category, especially for CA officers as well as FAOs.

Tom

PS

Now what is the Army going to do for those senior NCOs who go to MiTTs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Now what is the Army going to do for those senior NCOs who go to MiTTs?
    Read the rest of Conway's message?

Cheers,
    Jill

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sargent View Post
    He must have read my message on the "Ill informed blog post..." thread.

Ok, maybe he could have talked to Conway directly.

But let's be clear, the progression was: Conway, Me, Casey. I can live with that.

Cheers,
    Jill
    Jill,

Unfortunately that message is only guidance to the various boards that meet yearly. This guidance is not "set in stone" and being codified as it appears that Gen Casey is doing with the Army.

I recently received several back briefs from members of the last board season and it was mixed. Apparently huge discussions took place on exactly what weight to give Marines who successfully completed a MTT tour. The one agreement, successful MTT tours were not given the same credit as Bn/Reg staff tours. Lesser of two equals you could say.

Being pulled from a Bn XO billet and assigned to a MTT, I am pleased attention is being given to this issue. However, it will require more than just "rudder guidance" from the commandant to go about an institutional change in the way senior Marines/board members think, act and vote.

Crusoe

Crusoe --

I suppose I need to get over my hatred of emoticons and start using them with greater frequency -- or at least start adding some text that identifies when I am being cheeky. For the most part, I was joking about the timing of my post vs. the CSA's message.

In all seriousness, my understanding is that the bulk of Conway's intent was to give MTT leaders a degree of command credit for deploying in that capacity. Any amount is good for my husband's case, because he stupidly did a very long stint at NPS after the world's longest LT tour at 29 Palms, which, taking into account the payback tour, meant that he missed a chance at battery command. Although he's had all manner of BN/Reg. staff positions, he did not like the hole in his experience. So, even if they are not given full credit, when it comes time for command screening, any little bit is going to help. It will also be interesting to find out whether his second MTT deployments helps, is neutral, or hurts. We'll see -- he's up for his first round of screenings this summer.

In the end, having missed his battery command tour, he has enjoyed it, no matter what it what it might mean to his career.

Cheers,
    Jill

Council Member

Default Got it...finally

Jill,

I probably did not read the cheeky part into your reply because of my emotions on this issue as well. I think I am going to get physically ill if I hear how MTTs are the number one priority again!

Crusoe