Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CSA Sends - Transition Team Commanders

Default There's that word again

when I am being cheeky.
    Hmmm how about

or

or even

Default Cheeky

I thought it the more polite term than smartass for this august forum.

Ooops, there it is again.

Wink My God. I thought it was still June...

August already and I missed a whole month. This 'golden age' stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be...

Pulled this off the SWJ Blog News roundup. My last NCO stopped by yesterday. He was on mid-tour leave with a team in Afghanistan. He would agree we have a ways to go on this...

U.S. military advisers say they're treated as misfits
    By Nancy A. Youssef | McClatchy Newspapers

FORT RILEY, Kan. — Standing next to a screen illuminating a long list of tips, Maj. Anthony Nichols looked out at the classroom of neophyte military trainers and began a lecture about the ways that fellow soldiers will look down at them while they serve in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Other soldiers will call them "undesirables," sent in because they had no other place on the battlefield, the instructor said. Some units will kick military advisers out of security briefings. One recommendation: to "patch swap," carry alternative military insignia for their uniforms so they can pretend to be members of other units. It will help them get supplies and equipment more easily. Or at least more respect.

"I came armed with a stack of patches. . . . Who am I going to be today?" Nichols said about his time in Iraq.

Default thoughts on MTT

Other soldiers will call them "undesirables," sent in because they had no other place on the battlefield, the instructor said. Some units will kick military advisers out of security briefings. One recommendation: to "patch swap," carry alternative military insignia for their uniforms so they can pretend to be members of other units. It will help them get supplies and equipment more easily. Or at least more respect.
    Never saw any "patch swapping"...most dudes in line units would recognize you as foreign to their organization in a heartbeat anyway...

From what I saw during my time on a TT in IZ, most "land-owners" (BCT & BN CDRs) welcomed the local TT chiefs/staff into their formations for meetings, BUBs, etc. I saw great cooperation between AO CDRs and TTs in regards to targeting, ops, intelligence sharing, etc. There were a few cases when we weren't notified of meetings or OPS, but probably not on purpose.

I would probably offer that the willingness of the TT chief to involve himself into the AOR CDRs formation is the most crucial aspect. As we all know, initiative, creativity and resourcefulness are key characteristics for TT members. I can't imagine many leaders selected by the Army to lead Battalions and Brigades are so immature and callous that they refuse to involve a combat multiplier like TTs (and the IA) into their formations. The reality is that TT leaders that find themselves "shunned" by AOR CDRs is probably due to their own laziness and unwillingness to make the "extra effort" it takes to establish a good relationship with the line units in the AO.

In regards to supplying and outfitting the IA, and general support for TTs, I do understand the frustration. It seems in many cases that the TTs are the last priority for parts and equipment (US) and sometimes it was really difficult to get maintenance done. As far as the IA, it seemed the units "closeset to the warehouse" were outfitted first. For example, when my IA BN had trucks go down that we couldn't fix locally, we had to tow them to the nearest IA HQ...75 miles away. We found it easier to buy parts off local vendors (if possible) and fix it ourself. But once again, that was because of the initiative and cleverness of my Maintenance NCO.

Lots of hard questions and issues for TTs. The answer is getting the best and brightest to volunteer for it. Good start for CSA by making the job KD (BQ) for Majors...still need to add more incentives for CPTs, LTs and NCOs.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkm_101_fso View Post
    Never saw any "patch swapping"...most dudes in line units would recognize you as foreign to their organization in a heartbeat anyway...
    Not really an option for Marine TTs.

I would probably offer that the willingness of the TT chief to involve himself into the AOR CDRs formation is the most crucial aspect. As we all know, initiative, creativity and resourcefulness are key characteristics for TT members. I can't imagine many leaders selected by the Army to lead Battalions and Brigades are so immature and callous that they refuse to involve a combat multiplier like TTs (and the IA) into their formations. The reality is that TT leaders that find themselves "shunned" by AOR CDRs is probably due to their own laziness and unwillingness to make the "extra effort" it takes to establish a good relationship with the line units in the AO.
    That doesn't just apply to TTs, either. I find I have to constantly make that point at ANGLICO - too many of our guys fall into the trap of saying, "That's not our mission, we don't do that."

Default Maybe I swapped a patch once, that doesnt make me a bad person does it?

Never saw any "patch swapping"...most dudes in line units would recognize you as foreign to their organization in a heartbeat anyway....
    It prevents the quizzical, I get things with less fuss, units are so overwhelmed with attachments and detachments... I can explain myself 100 times over about who I work for and why they/them should support me. However you walk in with the correct patch on, sign for your supplies, get your truck fixed and move out.

Amen, I am sure there might be a few CDR's that may fear OPSEC compromise over HNF involvement (in limited situations I agree with it) , but this practice is definatley the rare exception and not the rule.

Lots of hard questions and issues for TTs. The answer is getting the best and brightest to volunteer for it. Good start for CSA by making the job KD (BQ) for Majors...still need to add more incentives for CPTs, LTs and NCOs.
    I think the next selection boards coming this summer will tell the tape where ETT and MiTT really stand for the NCO Corp. I confess that running a platoon/ squad is a tough job. But, leading by influence and not authority, indivduals that hold different culture norms, language, and work ethics. Its tough too.
    Last edited by Anthony Hoh; 07-31-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: added a maybe too C.M.A.