[QUOTE=John Nagl;50499
However, there are costs as well. Building MTT's from BCT's removes many of the senior leaders of the unit, essentially leaving it combat ineffective as a BCT for the period of the internal TT deployment. Even after creating robust security units for the MTT's drawn from a BCT, there will still be a pile of soldiers and equipment left over--which, unfortunately, will no longer be configured in a deployable formation with their senior leadership. Thus, creating MTT's from BCT's is very effective, but not very efficient--and we need all the BCT's we can find to help with the fight in Afghanistan.[/QUOTE]

Sir,
I certainly see your point and concede it. What about "choosing" a BN from a BCT for this mission? A perfect unit to conduct this would be the Fires BN; of course, the first choice would be IN, AR or RSTA, but they could be better utilized for the Afghanistan fight. The BN could Troop to Task itself into TTs and utilize the rest of the BN for security, log, med, etc. That way, the BCT is still eligible for deployment to Afghanistan, just minus one of its' BNs. By utilizing the Fires BN, the BCT still has all of its manuever BNs available. Just an idea. I did read your article in the FA Journal (July 06), which essentially recommends the same thing...not sure the FA brach should be the key proponet for all TTs...but we are a great asset for that mission. By the way, the photo in your article is of MAJ Mike Oeschger, who was my TT chief at the time in Tuz Kharmatu with 3-2-4 IA. I'm sure I was on the ground somewhere when the picture was snapped!!! Small world!!! The 'terp in the picture was "Jack"...an awesome Kurd and Iraqi.
The TT question is a hard one to answer. I don't think RFF is the best way to go, compared to the "out of hide" option. Eventually, as BCTs drawn down in Iraq, the TTs will remain, I think that is a foregone conclusion. Gen Casey took the right step in making TT a KD job for MAJs, but what about junior officers and NCOs? As we refine this process, we have to make TT a desirable and rewarding assignment. I'd argue it's already rewarding, professionally and personally, but "big Army" has to make it a competetive environment; how that will happen, I don't know. But making it KD for MAJ is certainly a step in the right direction.
I enjoyed "soup with a knife" very much, sir. I'm still in the long process of getting through the COIN FM. I'm sorry to see the Army is losing you to CNAS. I was hoping to see you in command of a BDE at some point. Best of luck at CNAS.