Thread: Chaplains as Liaisons with Religious Leaders: Lessons From Iraq and Afghanistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This issue has been a continuing issue of debate in the Chaplain Corps and between it and the rest of the Army. You can find some on it at CALL.

Tom

If it's any consolation, "Big Army" is having us write chaplains into the non-kinetic fight at the major CTCs. I don't know what impact it is having "down-range," but the scenarios are...intriguing, to say the least.

Council Member

Default The troops first

Let's not forget the primary purpose of the Chaplain is to provide spiritual support to the unit and Soldiers, which is a full time job. I support the operational concept, but I think these should be specially trained Chaplains that are attached to the unit for this purpose, so the assigned Chaplain can still do his primary job.

Hi 120,

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    If it's any consolation, "Big Army" is having us write chaplains into the non-kinetic fight at the major CTCs. I don't know what impact it is having "down-range," but the scenarios are...intriguing, to say the least.
    Don't tell me they are finally thinking of setting up the US Magi Corps !

Bill's comment about their primary mission being to provide "spiritual support to the unit and soldiers" is bang on. Although, I suppose it all depends on just how you define "spiritual support"...

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/