Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Taking Care of Field Grade Officers on TDY...NOT!!!

Default To echo...

Steve Blair and Sam Liles, corporate America is quite skimpy on the "PCS" move issue (I think it boils down to they feeling if you want the job bad enough you'll DITY). While one actually can get "moved" in the traditional service sense (I'm one for three) there are often some interesting rules:

Lodging: They paid for the room but not the taxes on the room (so I made every effort to stay at bases between CA and SC).

Expense reimbursement: In addition to the room rate, I also received "per diem" which was at the government rate per where we stayed each night. The best part was that my total "reimbursement" for my expenses incurred was viewed by the IRS as "income."

I never once during a TAD got a rental car authorized, even when unable to get billiting and had to stay in hotels off base; however, during TDYs under the auspicies of the USAF I did get a Udrive.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Default My posting created great insight into the many cultural facets of the Army

...Thanks to all who replied...I am a big boy and was very amused by some of the postings (do some of you actually believe there is a difference among MOSs etc, or that one should be proud to have taken cold showers on TDY, or that comparing the personnel at Walter Reed with students is actually an argument that passes any sort of intellectual muster?)...but I feel that more important things need to be debated...the first line of my posting was that I couldn't find an appropriate spot for the rant so I posted it there...I do get it...I ranted and paid for it...

I am a DAC...with 24 years in the Navy (with over 49 months of deployed overseas time on ships, so I am not a neophyte) and combat time in Bosnia and Iraq flying in F-14s (not like some of your combat time, but time nonetheless)...and 10 years of PME education teaching...etc etc the point is not my credentials, but that I feel it is time to change the culture of the Army (Walter Reed, PTSD treatment of returnees, etc all are facets of the Army not really doing what needed to be done except when forced to by the media)...

And this blog will be an excellent teaching tool...don't be afraid though, I always let my students make up their own mind about what is right and wrong...all I will do ask them questions concerning aspects of the various points made in the pages of the blog...they may think I am a buffoon (as many of you will probably agree)...

Keep on going for it...

Sledge

Default Take a hike (or a limo...)

While I didn't originally include a shortage of funding for rental vans in my list, I think it still ranks pretty close to the bottom of all the problems the Army faces.

I'm proud of the Army's "suck it up" and "mission accomplishment" mentality. It feels good to know I'm a part of an organization that, across all it's levels, never quits and finds no challenge overwhelming. Frankly, I'm a little ashamed you're detracting from it.

Feel free to join your civilian friends, perhaps we'll redirect your salary to purchasing more vans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge142 View Post
    ...Thanks to all who replied...I am a big boy and was very amused by some of the postings (do some of you actually believe there is a difference among MOSs etc, or that one should be proud to have taken cold showers on TDY, or that comparing the personnel at Walter Reed with students is actually an argument that passes any sort of intellectual muster?)...but I feel that more important things need to be debated...the first line of my posting was that I couldn't find an appropriate spot for the rant so I posted it there...I do get it...I ranted and paid for it...

I am a DAC...with 24 years in the Navy (with over 49 months of deployed overseas time on ships, so I am not a neophyte) and combat time in Bosnia and Iraq flying in F-14s (not like some of your combat time, but time nonetheless)...and 10 years of PME education teaching...etc etc the point is not my credentials, but that I feel it is time to change the culture of the Army (Walter Reed, PTSD treatment of returnees, etc all are facets of the Army not really doing what needed to be done except when forced to by the media)...

And this blog will be an excellent teaching tool...don't be afraid though, I always let my students make up their own mind about what is right and wrong...all I will do ask them questions concerning aspects of the various points made in the pages of the blog...they may think I am a buffoon (as many of you will probably agree)...

Keep on going for it...

Sledge

Then I take great pleasure in knowing I'm in no danger of attending ILE where you teach. I always thought continuing professional education was meant to make one better at their craft, not take a knee and bitch about things that have little to do with one's warfighting function.

As far as your crack about "some of you believing there is difference between MOSs." Yeah, I believe that, for very good reason too. I don't remember hearing about a combat arms unit who hid in their floorboards while ambushed and dumping the sand out of their bolts in their rifles. I had a DENTAC Major salute me when I was a 2LT because he had no idea how the Army rank structure worked. There are huge differences.

Good luck with your "teachings."
    Example is better than precept.

Default Bravely spake, Sledge. However, other than the rant,

if it is a matter of concern to you, what, precisely have you done about it officially? If you think it's a critical item, surely you've done something about it.

Oh, another thing -- if MOSs aren't important, why mention your F-14 time?

Council Member

Default Point taken

Sledge142 your points are valid, I reason you drew so much heat is the way they were presented. I have 30 years (and I'm still kicking) in the Army, most of them in tough muddy boots assignments. I have been very fortunate to have been brought up by some great leaders (both NCO and Officer) over the years. Of course that is the nature of Special Forces and Airborne units.

The priorities in military leadership are mission, your men, then yourself. Whenever you are required to suck it up because the mission requires it, then it is expected of you. However if you're in a leadership role, your role is to limit the items your men have to suck up. Sometimes saying suck it up is a leadership failure to improve conditions for their men. These leader's priorities are mission, themselves, then their men. When you are required to suck it up, leaders will explain why and inspire their men to do so.

While issues about money for rental vans are trival compared to having adequate time on the range, having the right body armor down range, having money to get guys to school, etc., it is still an issue that impacts retention of mid to senior grade NCOs and Officers. It is another proverbial straw on the camel's back. Soldiers are as important as equipment, and strong consideration should be taken before cutting funds for professional development, PTSD recovery, family counselling, etc. The issue isn't necessarily the van, but that the service doesn't provide a viable alternative such as a barracks, BOQ, dining facility that is open during the weekend, etc. If the service provides the necessities (in priority, gym, food, gym, billets, etc.) and you desire to go out on the town, then the rental car is on you or your unit, but if they don't provide the necessities and severely limit rental cars then there may be an issue. You just need to present it as problem, discussion and recommendation, instead of a complaint.

And this blog will be an excellent teaching tool
    I agree, and steer a number of my students here as well.

...don't be afraid though, I always let my students make up their own mind about what is right and wrong...all I will do ask them questions concerning aspects of the various points made in the pages of the blog...they may think I am a buffoon (as many of you will probably agree)...
    Afraid? Of what - anonymous troll attacks? Nah, I'm not worried about that .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Sledge142 your points are valid, I reason you drew so much heat is the way they were presented.
    Bill, you are spot on! Sledge, speaking as one teacher to another, use this thread as an example of cross-cultural miscommunication.

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/