Quote Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Its been over a year since Gen Petreaus implemented the Iraq Campaign Plan being executed. One of the problems of the campaign plan was that many of the basic COIN guiding feratures were lost in the mass of the document, especially as it got translated down the chain of command. This seems like an attempt to provide the "boiled down" guidance that would be applicable at the tactical level without having to wade through the operational and strategic elements of the plan. I don't see anything really new in here, but it is succinctly stated.
Gen Petreaus is also putting out this guidance just on the cusp of turning over the command to LtGen Odierno. Interesting timing.
both Generals have been speaking to these points to troops in theatre over the last year (before Odierno handed over MNC-I and returned home). It was my observation that there was little or no practical difference between what the Force Commander and Corps Commander would speak about - and it certainly nested with the points posted above. It was a good example of displaying unity of command.