Thread: More Piracy Near Somalia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    ... get up off the couch/seat and enter the arena....USMC, US Army, DoS, USAID, IC, NGO, or Corporate...there are a bunch of choices....
    Hey Steve,
    You went and forgot the Air Force

And replaced it with DoS
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Banned

Default The Libyan option

Stan,

Do you think any of the "smart" guys at State or the CIA have figured out that one carefully targeted cruise missile on the Gaddafi family compound could bring about a quick resolution to the Libyan problem?

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Stan,

Do you think any of the "smart" guys at State or the CIA have figured out that one carefully targeted cruise missile on the Gaddafi family compound could bring about a quick resolution to the Libyan problem?
    I'm not sure State or the CIA actually have any USA-made missiles and that may be a good thing

I won't go agreeing that we actually already tried that routine because Operation El Dorado Canyon's mission specifically targeting barracks, bases and an airfield with (ahem) 60 tons of munitions in 12 minutes. That we missed Gaddafi's tent is mind boggling. But, I do recall the French military attaché in Zaire being a little upset blowing their Embassy in Tripoli

At a 100 million for a single Tomahawk (assuming we buy 65 each), estimated production time and lead time to lease a frigate, Gaddafi will have died of old age

It would be easier to offer 50K to the first person who nabs him, dead or alive.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    At a 100 million for a single Tomahawk (assuming we buy 65 each), estimated production time and lead time to lease a frigate, Gaddafi will have died of old age
    Are we talking about the same cruise missiles?

Tomahawk (missile)

Manufacturer General Dynamics (initially) Raytheon/McDonnell Douglas
    Unit cost $US 569,000[1]
    Specifications
    Weight 1,440 kilograms (3,200 lb)
    Length Without booster: 5.56 m
    With booster: 6.25 m
    Diameter 0.52 m
    Warhead conventional: 1,000 lb (450 kg) Bullpup, or submunitions dispenser with BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomb, or a 200kt (840 Tj) W80 nuclear device (inactivated in accordance with SALT)
    For $100m worth of cruise missiles we could have a lot of fun, all I ask for is a paltry three per country (Libya, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe, Somalia (pirates)).

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Are we talking about the same cruise missiles?

Tomahawk (missile)

For $100m worth of cruise missiles we could have a lot of fun, all I ask for is a paltry three per country (Libya, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe, Somalia (pirates)).
    Sorry, I was looking at some old contract data for the whole package deal

I doubt we're going to get these at 569K a pop if you only want four each

Lastly, no reason to go with a unitary warhead... it's a waste of explosives and you'll miss someone. Best to go with a"Clinton disapproved" D model with conventional submunitions

Banned

Lastly, no reason to go with a unitary warhead... it's a waste of explosives and you'll miss someone. Best to go with a"Clinton disapproved" D model with conventional submunitions
    We need precision stuff but if no one is home the message is that "you are safe nowhere so hit the road, Jack". Eventually they will pull him (them) out of a pitiful earth bunker somewhere with no lights, water or crapper.

Default Oops...

Hey Steve,
    You went and forgot the Air Force

And replaced it with DoS
    Hey Stan,

...and me an USAF brat and all......ok, in the interest of fairness all of the services to include the PHS (Public Health Service) and NOAA are a great place to serve and give back a small part of the many amazing things we take for granted here

DoS, heh, you know where I stand there...I am a fan...looks like I'll have to step up my DoS stories for you, JMA, and Bill Moore to enjoy. I have in my mind the Young Frankenstein soup scene for some reason when thinking about my lack of ability to properly share...here is a youtube link...Civil Affairs at it's best!
    Last edited by Surferbeetle; 03-01-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Sapere Aude

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    I have in my mind the Young Frankenstein soup scene for some reason when thinking about my lack of ability to properly share...here is a youtube link...Civil Affairs at it's best!
    Dude,
    That was funny ! Sums up my life with State... having hot soup dumped on my nuts