Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More Piracy Near Somalia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Pirates to have day in court?

I know Somali pirates aren't quite the same thing as the Taliban, although I did recently hear the whole to-do with them being compared to an insurgency. Any-hoo, up until now, the big problem has been that the law was unclear on how to prosecute them, and that was at least part of what prevented the gaggle of ships cruising off the coast of Somalia from becoming more "proactive", shall we say, against the pirates. But there may be some progress in that direction. The U.S. and Kenya just signed off on an agreement that will have the Kenyans prosecuting the pirates in their courts. This may be good news. Hopefully.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsM...50S4ZZ20090129
    "Don't discuss yourself, for you are bound to lose; if you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved." -Michel de Montaigne

"I have this personal rule about not starting flame wars with people who ride around in battleplates." -Schlock Mercenary, May 21, 2003

Council Member

4 Jan 09 testimony before the Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee by Peter Chalk of RAND:

Maritime Piracy: Reasons, Dangers and Solutions
    Thank you, Mr. Chairman and distinguished Members of the Subcommittee, for the opportunity to testify on this important subject. The rash of pirate attacks off the Horn of Africa and Gulf of Aden in 2008 has cast into sharp light an enduring problem that affects not only this part of the continent but many other areas of the world. This testimony aims to inform and put into context the current debate on piracy by providing an overview of the scope and contributing factors driving armed maritime violence in the contemporary era and the principal dangers associated with this particular manifestation of transnational crime. Given the publicity and unprecedented character of the international response to Somali-based piracy, the testimony also briefly addresses the appropriateness of the measures that have been instituted to deal with armed maritime violence off the Horn of Africa and Gulf of Aden.......

Default Haven't read it yet, but....

The Pirate Latitudes, by William Langewiesche. Vanity Fair, April 2009.
    When the French luxury cruise ship Le Ponant was captured by a raggedy, hopped-up band of Somali pirates last spring, in the Gulf of Aden, it looked as if the bandits had bitten off more than they could chew. But after a week-long standoff, they got what they had come for—a $2.15 million ransom. Describing the terrifying attack, the ordeal of the ship’s epicurean crew, and the tense negotiations, the author examines the ruthless calculus behind a new age of piracy.
    Haven't read it yet, but the author is excellent, and is a knowledgeable source on the subject having covered piracy and shipping in his book The Outlaw Sea: A World of Freedom, Chaos, and Crime.

The Seven Ways to Stop Piracy
    And why none of them will work as well as we might hope.

By Ken Menkhaus
    Posted April 2009

Now that the rush of excitement has subsided from the made-for-TV drama of the rescue of Captain Phillips, we are left with the more sobering long-term question of what to do about Somali piracy. Whether piracy constitutes a serious national security threat is a subject of debate. But there is no question that piracy off the Somali coast is now an important symbolic political issue for both the Obama administration and its critics. The Obama administration does not want conservative opponents to portray it as weak on defense or unwilling to use force to protect American interests, and so cannot afford to embrace passive policies on piracy. Yet the piracy issue is replete with traps, a seemingly simple problem with seemingly simple solutions, all of which could easily backfire and make things worse.

Indeed, some of the strategies that have the greatest appeal for the American public and punditry are also the most dangerous. And certainly, none of them offers a quick fix.

Let’s look at the standard menu of options being discussed in Washington.....
    To give a bit of background, Dr. Menkhaus is one of my former professors at Davidson. He is one of the world's foremost experts on the HOA, lived in Somalia for a few years in the late 80s teaching English and working on rural development, then was an adviser to UNOSOM in the 1990s, was there during the Battle of Mogadishu (Black Hawk Down), and since then has been active in political and military affairs in the Horn. He has testified before Congress several times on issues regarding Africa and the Middle East, and has been particularly busy recently traveling back and forth between the US, Europe, and the Horn to do advising. It was during my final semester in the spring of 2007, when I was taking two of his classes, that Somalian insurgent attacks against the occupying Ethiopian forces skyrocketed, and he actually had to cancel classes for an entire week because he had been asked by the Pentagon to fly out to the middle of the Pacific to give a briefing to a Marine Expeditionary Unit that was on its way there. The best compliment I ever got from him was after I had given an oral presentation on my research at the end of the semester, and he told me I had a bright future ahead of me as a military planner. Given what I know of planning processes in the upper echelons and the concept of "death by PowerPoint," I'm not even sure whether that's a compliment or not.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 04-24-2009 at 03:34 AM.
    When I die, I want my last words to have been "Hold my beer and watch this."

Council Member

Chatham House, Apr 09: Pirates and How to Deal With Them
    This briefing note draws on a meeting of a roundtable of experts held at Chatham House on 26 February 2009 by the Africa Programme and the International Law Discussion Group. It brought together lawyers and practitioners from the military, industry and diplomatic services to clarify some of the legal concerns around combating piracy off the Somali coast. The paper draws on presentations by Agustin Blanco-Bazan of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO), Commodore Neil Brown of the Royal Navy and Dr Douglas Guilfoyle from University College London, and on the discussion that followed......

Default How the navies talk

I seem to recall posting on how the various navies would co-operate dispite politics and the state of diplomatic relations; this helps to explain: http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htt.../20090923.aspx

davidbfpo

Default Dumb Pirates

Target identification works both ways

Somali Pirates Mistake French Military Vessel for Commercial ShipPARIS — Somali pirates in two skiffs fired on a French navy vessel early Wednesday after apparently mistaking it for a commercial boat, the French military said. The French ship gave chase and captured five suspected pirates.

No one was wounded by the volleys from the Kalashnikov rifles directed at La Somme, a 3,800-ton refueling ship, said Rear Admiral Christophe Prazuck, a military spokesman.

Default Wrong camouflage or no Janes Warships to hand?

Tom,

In March 2009 pirates fired on a German naval supply vessel:

Somali pirates by mistake attack a German Navy supply vessel, Germans fire back and chase ensues: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090330/...eXORo9.P9vaA8F
    Now a French naval vessel. Makes one wonder why pirates cannot distinguish between a warship (presumably in grey) and merchant ships.

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-07-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Default Singapore to take command of CTF 151 from Jan 2010

It will be a good learning experience, and I hope my nation is up to the task.

S'porean to lead flotilla
    By Jermyn Chow
    July 31, 2009

The Singaporean naval officer, who has not yet been selected, will be commanding more than seven navy vessels. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

A SINGAPOREAN navy officer will take charge of an international anti-piracy patrol coalition to curb the escalating violence off the waters of Somalia.

The commander, who will be assisted by other officers from the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) officers, will lead the Combined Task Force (CTF) 15 from next January for three months.

This is the first time a Singaporean is commander of a multinational peace support mission since Singapore Armed Forces' (SAF's) Brigadier-General Tan Huck Gim was appointed the Force Commander of the United Nations Mission of Support in East Timor (Unmiset) in 2002.

Currently, the flotilla is being led by the Turkish navy.

The Singaporean naval officer, who has not yet been selected, will be commanding more than seven navy vessels that come from countries including the United States, South Korea and Australia.

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean announced the deployment on Friday at the Changi Naval Base.

He paid tribute to the 296 men and women who were back from their three-month stint in the Gulf. They worked onboard the Landing Ship Tank (LST) RSS Persistence, with two Super Puma helicopters.

During their watch over the pirate-infested waters, they responded to 57 calls for assistance and launched 80 helicopter sorties.

'The dedication, hard work and sheer determination of each member of the Task Group has made this mission a success for Singapore.'

For their tour of duty, members of the team were awarded the SAF Overseas Service Medal.

At Friday's event, DPM Teo, who is also Defence Minister, said the deployment put paid to the SAF's ability to integrate its forces on land, air and sea.

'This demonstrates that the third-generation SAF is versatile, creative and operationally ready, capable of rapidly mobilising a wide spectrum of skills and resources to accomplish a wider spectrum of missions,' he said.

The Straits Times

Default Not to worry. Any nation that's sharp enough to make

the equipment, education and training decisions that Singapore has made won't have any problems.

Default The other angle?

What will be interesting to watch, although I expect we shall have to wait for historians, is how the changing commanders alters the perception of the CTF. Secondly how the commander relates to non-CTF "partners" like India and PRC. Especially so for the PRC-Singapore relationship.

davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    What will be interesting to watch, although I expect we shall have to wait for historians, is how the changing commanders alters the perception of the CTF. Secondly how the commander relates to non-CTF "partners" like India and PRC. Especially so for the PRC-Singapore relationship.

davidbfpo
    I believe that the PLAN-RSN working relationship will be based on common area interests and the prime focus on maritime transport to travel those waters unimpeded.

Somehow, I would also like to think that with the Turkish command, and the future Singaporean command, the perception of CTF might shift away from a "this is an American-led/influenced effort" towards one of a more neutral international reputation? Will that be plausible?

Default USN & PLAN -v- pirates in the Arabian Sea

My attention was drawn to this incident by an Australian think tank's email, although dependent on a USN Central Command news release:
    Firstly, news has emerged that the US Navy and PLA Navy cooperated during a piracy response operation over the weekend. USS Winston Churchill and USNS Lewis and Clarke initially responded to a distress call made by MV Tai An Kou, which was being attacked by pirates in the North Arabian Sea. The PLA frigate Xuzhou then joined with the US ships and, following a handover, conducted the boarding operation. The US and Chinese ships remained in communication throughout.

Analysis: while the focus is on friction between the US and Chinese in East Asia and the South China Sea, don't miss the important steps towards cooperation and collaboration occurring further west.
    Australian link, which starts on this and covers other developments:http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/...elopments.aspx

USN news release:http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/articles/2010/CMF070.html

Aside from the co-operation I noted several facts: an attack in the North Arabian Sea, 100 miles from Oman (so not Somali pirates), then who; the response times (10hrs) and the cordial handover.

Not seen this reported elsewhere, but have not searched.

Mod's Note on 6/12/10 moved four posts from a separate thread to this, the main Somali Piracy thread.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-06-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Add Mods Note
    davidbfpo

My attention was drawn to this incident by an Australian think tank's email, although dependent on a USN Central Command news release:

Australian link, which starts on this and covers other developments:http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/...elopments.aspx

USN news release:http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/articles/2010/CMF070.html

Aside from the co-operation I noted several facts: an attack in the North Arabian Sea, 100 miles from Oman (so not Somali pirates), then who; the response times (10hrs) and the cordial handover.

Not seen this reported elsewhere, but have not searched.
    On who is behind the pirate attack, it could be Somali pirates as I've read it's not unheard of them attacking ships that far away from the horn of Africa. Even though in this case there is a strong chance that is indeed unlikely.

This past year Somali pirates have begun hijacking ships 100 miles off the coast of Oman. By using motherships they have extended their range into the Indian Ocean, almost to the Maldives.

Default Somali pirates seize ship off the coast of Southern India

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    This past year Somali pirates have begun hijacking ships 100 miles off the coast of Oman. By using motherships they have extended their range into the Indian Ocean, almost to the Maldives.
    Speaking of range, suspected pirates from Somalia have seized a Bangladeshi ship off the coast of Southern India, according to officials in the country of the ships origin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11923676

Default One released, one captured

From the BBC News:
    Somali pirates have freed a German-owned chemical tanker, reportedly after a $5.5m (£3.6m) ransom was paid....(which was) seized in May...

Pirates now hold 25 vessels and 587 hostages after they seized another German-owned ship on Monday...taken..about 200 miles (325km) north-east of the port of Salalah in Oman.
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12086627
    davidbfpo

Default Somali Pirates and the ISI!?

The following was posted on the Information Dissemination blog today. (http://www.informationdissemination.net/)
    People have long asked where Somali pirates are getting all of their good intelligence from. They seem to know where the easy to hit ships will be, by name and all. There is ample evidence that Somali pirates are not working with Iran and they also do not appear to work in coordination with any Al Qaeda affiliated groups. One of the biggest questions that has popped up as a result of several different events over the last several months is how much influence and apparent connectivity ISI Chief Ahmed Shuja Pasha has with Somali pirate leaders. My sense is the relationship between Somali pirates and the ISI is the next big pirate story on the verge of busting into the media.
    Lord in heaven, what's next?
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-28-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Copied from the 'Working with Pakistan thread' with x3 others so will appear out of sequence.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default Somali Pirates and the ISI!?

Carl,

I know the world is full of surprises, but this suspected linkage is one and simply lacks credibility.

In an earlier post I referred to the open source and commercial sources for shipping information. I suspect that certain "middle men" are supplying the information for interception and Somalis are well known for their trading skills in the region - not piracy.

I recall the Somalis had no love for the Pakistanis during the early intervention; the killing of Pakistani soldiers pre-dated the 'Blackhawk Down' incident.

Where is the pay-off for ISI in such a trade?
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-28-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Copied from the 'Working with Pakistan thread' with x3 others so will appear out of sequence.
    davidbfpo

David:

This is the first I've heard of it, can't really comment on its validity and posted it mainly as a discussion point. If it is true there isn't anything those guys won't stoop to, and if it isn't true their past actions make it easy for people to believe there isn't anything they won't stoop too. I will say that Galrahn runs a pretty good blog and seems to know exactly what he is talking about as near as I can judge, which may not be very near.

The pay off for the ISI would be what it always is for the ISI, bug India and money. There was a twitter feed from Galrahn stating that 22 Somali pirates were caught recently just off the NW coast of India. That should bug them. The money, well the money.

Who the Somalis killed 20 years ago probably doesn't mean much to them if there is money to be made leading the pirate's life.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene