Thread: Franco-Prussian War - Book Suggetions For Friend

Council Member

Default Franco-Prussian War - Book Suggetions For Friend

A friend of mine is looking for a book about the Franco-Prussian War and I am hoping someone can give me a few suggestions. This is spare time reading for him so he is looking for something that is well written and preferably not dry. I believe he is particularly interested in theories pertaining to how it effected/caused WWI.

Thanks,
    Adam L

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    A friend of mine is looking for a book about the Franco-Prussian War and I am hoping someone can give me a few suggestions. This is spare time reading for him so he is looking for something that is well written and preferably not dry. I believe he is particularly interested in theories pertaining to how it effected/caused WWI.
    The Fall of Paris: The Siege and the Commune, 1870-71, by Alistair Horne

The Franco-Prussian War: The German Invasion of France, 1870-1871, by Michael Howard

Both are excellent reads, and both describe impacts and developments that led into/influenced WWI. To put the difference very simply, although they are both classics of military history, Horne's book takes a broader view and covers a great deal of the political aspects as well as the military, while Howard's book has a much tighter focus on the military.

Council Member

Thanks for the books!

Adam L

Horne is also always quite readable. His book on Verdun is a masterpiece. Howard's good as well, but for a "light" read (as in flowing style) I tend to prefer Horne.

Just my (depreciated) $.02.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Geoffrey Wawro's The Franco-Prussian War is the best and latest (2003 I think) work on the war.

Council Member

I'll pass your suggestions and comments on to my friend. Thanks for all the help!

Adam L

Default Some more...

Bismarck by Edward Crankshaw for politics.

The First Reich: Inside the German Army During the War With France 1870-71 by David Stone is an excellent look at the German forces.

Day of Battle: Mars-La-Tour by David Ascoli

For the events leading up to the war:
    The Wars of German Unification by Dennis Showalter
    The Origins of the Wars of German Unification by William Carr

A Genius for War by Trevor Dupuy is agood overview of the German General Staff.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Default Get a good map too

Long time since I read on this war, using Michael Howard's book, but you need a good clear map of France, preferably from the period or a map with the main towns on. France is a large place and most books have puny maps.

davidbfpo

Default David's correct...

maps are key to following the action. Wawro's book has pretty good maps. I haven't seen the 2001 update to Howard's book but hopefully they improved the maps. If you can find a copy of Chandler's Atlas of Military Strategy it has some useful campaign maps.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."