Simple Sabotage Field Manual — Strategic Services (Provisional), 17 Jan 44 (Declassified)
Office of Strategic Services
Washington, D. C.
17 January 1944

This Simple Sabotage Field Manual — Strategic Services (Provisional) — is published for the information and guidance of all concerned and will be used as the basic doctrine for Strategic Services training for this subject.

The contents of this Manual should be carefully controlled and should not be allowed to come into unauthorized hands.

The instructions may be placed in separate pamphlets or leaflets according to categories of operations but should be distributed with care and not broadly. They should be used as a basis of radio broadcasts only for local and special cases and as directed by the theater commander.

AR 380-5, pertaining to handling of secret documents, will be complied with in the handling of this Manual.

William J. Donovan
Director
I especially enjoyed (12) General Devices for Lowering Morale and Creating Confusion in section 5, Specific Suggestions for Simple Sabotage:
(a) Give lengthy and incomprehensible explanations when questioned.

(b) Report imaginary spies or danger to the Gestapo or police.

(c) Act stupid.

(d) Be as irritable and quarrelsome as possible without getting yourself into trouble.

(e) Misunderstand all sorts of regulations concerning such matters as rationing, transportation, traffic regulations.

(f) Complain against ersatz materials.

(g) In public treat axis nationals or quislings coldly.

(h) Stop all conversation when axis nationals or quislings enter a cafe.

(i) Cry and sob hysterically at every occasion, especially when confronted by government clerks.

(j) Boycott all movies, entertainments, concerts, newspapers which are in any way connected with the quisling authorities.

(k) Do not cooperate in salvage schemes.
I've dealt with (a), (c) and (d) so often that the work-around communication solutions became second nature. As a HUMINT'er, I'm sure I've had to deal with'em on a professional basis more than your average Joe, but I bet everyone's dealt with those three types of evasion at one point or another.

I've never personally seen anyone try (i) - but it would certainly be funny to watch.