Thread: DO is dead, hail Enhanced Company Operations!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I was under the impression that DO was not dead, it just became ECO. The only difference being that the Company level gets the equipment and manpower to run an operations center and an intelligence cell. I believe independent fire team operations is still a mainstay.

Council Member

Default Eco

Any new developments on this thread? I am very interested in the 6-man fire team as a basis of any maneuver unit.

Just curious how this is developing.

Tankersteve

TS, did you catch the SW Blog post about new company experimentation here: http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/200...eriments-with/

A recent Marine Corps Gazette article in .pdf form is at the Potomac Institute link and lays out the structural changes envisioned.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
    Any new developments on this thread? I am very interested in the 6-man fire team as a basis of any maneuver unit.
    I don't know about DO, but 6-man fire team has been done and works well. - it's about as big as a so-called "fire team" can get.
    More important is it usually depends how many 6-man fire teams you have, and what they do rather than it being 3,4,5 or 6 men in the team.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Default Nice catch, Jon ...

which shall reside in that part of my harddrive titled "New USMC Concepts".

Many years ago, a futurist (joking a bit) said that the key to future miniturization of machines was to create a machine that would make clones of itself in the next smaller scale - and so on, until the desired degree of miniturization was reached.

So, now we (it seems) have a new level in the MAGTF, from:

1. Extra-Large (the Corps)

2. Large (GCE - Div)

3. Medium (GCE - Regt)

4. Small (GCE - Bn)

5. Mini (GCE - Coy)

All dependent on the individual Marines who compose the units.

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 01-17-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add link to pdf

All dependent on the individual Marines who compose the units.
    Absolutely!

All of the re-org is great...to a point. Even given the most optimized and efficient setup, I have become increasingly convinced that without an incredibly strong training and professional military education roadmap that develops leaders at the section leader, platoon sergeant, and platoon commander level, it means absolutely nothing.

We haven't gotten there yet, though the efforts put forward ARE helping.
    Last edited by jcustis; 01-17-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Thumbs up Great observation, Jon

Well trained leaders, NCO and Officer, will successfully adjust the organization according to METT-TC. The untrained cannot do that and thus will wrongly use organizations designed for one mission for another with quite predictable results...

Does any<body remember the other titles and acronyms used for distributed operations and similar concepts?

I remember there were at least some titled experiments, but cannot remember the titles. "dragon something" or so (not the Dragonfire auto mortar).