Thread: DO is dead, hail Enhanced Company Operations!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by COMMAR View Post
    Tactically DO is still alive, Operationally its dead and been replaced by a Company centric Mindset. But I believe only temporarily until the Marine Corps can structurally support the full extent Planned for DO.

When it does I believe the USMC will transist fr/ Expeditionary DO Sqd/Plt Operations to Exped. Enhanced Company Ops to Higher as fluidly as it does Comp/SPMAGTF to BN/MEU to MEB operations of today; which is using the capability that best suits the mission.

I believe the ultimate goal will be to have Infantry Squads w/a Reborn CAP, Combined Action Platoon like ability, but on an Expeditionary Scale. Giving the USMC the ability to conduct Expeditionary Operations on all levels.

For those unfamiliar w/ the CAP Program or what the Plts were capable of or why I believe the USMC's ultimate goal is for CAP like Expeditionary Squads, here's some background info.

The CAP was one of the most successful programs of the Vietnam war. It consisted of a Reinforced 15 man Marine Rifle Squad lead by an E5/Sgt. They were attached to 1 or more S. Vietnamese Villages and Hamlets & a PF Army Plt.

What made these Reinforced Squads unique was not only were they charged w/raising and training the local Militia & giving guidance to the PF's Army Plt, similar to an ETT, but they were given Company like Responsibility over their assigned AO.

They conducted Offensive Operations, developed Intelligence networks, & conducted their own Humanitarian Ops independent of, but under the Guidance of their HHQ.

Its this type of Independent Operating ability I believe the USMC is looking into eventually Creating in its Expeditionary Rifle Squads which is the ultimate goal of DO. Independent in ability but ultimately part of a larger construct able to fluid move fr/ one Expeditionary MAGTF Construct to the next depending on the need.

Also the creator and architect of the DO concept as well as Combat Hunter & other programs, Gen Jim Mattis, is a huge fan the CAP Plt concept of Vietnam and has always found ways to incorporate their capabilities into Marine Infantry.

He is presently Commander of Joint Forces Command, but is rumored to be 1st in line to be the 35th Commandant if he chooses to accept and not retire.

If so he will be in the driver's seat of the Transformation that he initiated. Transformation that he says began in his mind after he led the first Marine forces into A'stan in 2001.

Interesting points COMMAR. I will say that the concept of the small unit leader is maturing, but I still say DO simply overshot its landing a bit. Would you be so kind as to post an intro in the introductions thread?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    Interesting points COMMAR. I will say that the concept of the small unit leader is maturing, but I still say DO simply overshot its landing a bit. Would you be so kind as to post an intro in the introductions thread?
    Whats that?

Default Most folks here write a brief

resume of sorts -- you can go to this LINK, scroll up and see what some others have written. Then add your own intro.

I don't know about the whole range of C4ISR limitations, but I do know that until we can squeeze out more bandwidth and satcom channels, we won't be doing DO or too much ECO. Is anybody taking on those problems?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    I don't know about the whole range of C4ISR limitations, but I do know that until we can squeeze out more bandwidth and satcom channels, we won't be doing DO or too much ECO. Is anybody taking on those problems?
    Limitations in C4ISR as in reference to DO, presently, sure there are.

You have to think everything thru to its logical conclusion. When you think about 1 Sqd fr/ 1 Plt dispersed gathering Intel, running simple surveillance, or basic recon maybe taking pics etc etc. Sure simple easily handled for 1.

But KIM 1/3's DO Plt that was in A'stan in '06 said they often split into as many as 9 to 11 seperate elements concealed & miles apart constantly feeding the 10th Mtn Intel (and they were under tight restrictions).

Multiply that by a whole BN of Plts that can go fr/1 to 11 & back at any given time. The Intel pipeline turns fr/a facet to a firehose but still draining out of the same sink.

The proper filters are not in place to syphon off, process, and pass on then feedback all that Info. Thats really where the ECO Concept kicks in, to handle & kickback as much Intel as possible at the Lowest Possible Level.