Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
Glad the Death Certificate has been written for DO; sad that the USMC has found it easier to go to "Enhanced Company Operations". Granted, the USMC has perhaps the best Rifle Company layout in the business, and there are a lot of (other) Infantrymen out there who experience a noticeable Pavlovian response to Marine Infantry TO&E's. But I just don't understand why the USMC doesn't feel comfortable using Platoons to go out and whack the enemy; use your Squads to find em', then bring in the rest of the Platoon to finish 'em. And if things go really wrong, you've got a Platoon (or at least the remnants thereof) to fight your way out, not just a Squad.
I broadly concur. Having read and corresponded extensively on DO, I saw nothing in DO that conceptually ruled out the use of Squad, Platoon, or Company. It just wasn't a very well thought out idea in the first place, and it was further challenged (at least in what was written) by seemingly flawed execution.

https://www.mccdc.usmc.mil/FeatureTo...igned%20co.pdf

Distributed Operations constitutes a form of maneuver warfare. Small, highly capable units spread across a large area of operations will provide the spatial advantage commonly sought in maneuver warfare, in that they will be able to sense an expanded battlespace, and can use close combat or supporting arms, including Joint fires, to disrupt the enemy’s access to key terrain and avenues of approach.
Considering how many things there are wrong with that statement, it's incredible the idea ever got as far as it did!!