Thread: Language and Cultural Awareness Transformation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We're still trying to figure out the right mix; big C, little L and so on. SOFLO is only interested in projects that get to 1+ on the language side of the house while JFCOM is working on culture. SOCOM has had some pretty good results with SOFTS.

We are about a week away from getting delivery of DLPT-1 Tactical Iraqi. This was a drive from CG MCIA, he has linked FLP-1 (spoken & listening) pay ($100.00 monthly). His intent is to reward Marines that go the extra step for language.

I think the CMRS is the right direction to go for Corps wide learning:

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/caocl/Regi...ies/region.asp

Council Member

10 Sep 08 testimony before the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee on Transforming the U.S. Military’s Foreign Language, Cultural Awareness, and Regional Expertise Capabilities:

Gail H. McGinn, Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Plans)/Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness)

BG Gary Patton, Senior Language Authority, Office of the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff/J-1

BG Dick Lake, Director of Intelligence USMC

RADM Daniel Holloway, Director, Military Personnel Plans and Policy Division (OPNAV N13)

Joseph McDade, Director, Force Development (HAF/AID)/Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel USAF

BG Richard Longo, Director of Training, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, G-3/5/7

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    10 Sep 08 testimony before the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee on Transforming the U.S. Military’s Foreign Language, Cultural Awareness, and Regional Expertise Capabilities:

Gail H. McGinn, Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Plans)/Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness)

BG Gary Patton, Senior Language Authority, Office of the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff/J-1

BG Dick Lake, Director of Intelligence USMC

RADM Daniel Holloway, Director, Military Personnel Plans and Policy Division (OPNAV N13)

Joseph McDade, Director, Force Development (HAF/AID)/Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel USAF

BG Richard Longo, Director of Training, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, G-3/5/7

I would like to know the language skills of each of these senior leaders and managers. It has been my consistent observation over the years that those who are charged with maintaining language and cultural skills have none and therefore have no base line for understanding what it really takes to develop and actually maintain those skills.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    I would like to know the language skills of each of these senior leaders and managers. It has been my consistent observation over the years that those who are charged with maintaining language and cultural skills have none and therefore have no base line for understanding what it really takes to develop and actually maintain those skills.

Tom
    I couldn't have worded it better...

DEFENSE LANGUAGE TRANSFORMATION ROADMAP

Goal 3 Establish a Cadre of Language Professionals Possessing an
    Interagency Roundtable Proficiency of 3/3/3 in
    Reading/Listening/Speaking. Address Language Requirements
    (Below 3/3/3 Ability)
    Who exactly determines that based on a congressional language aptitude of 0+/0+/0+ in DC lingo?

Didn't they just recently chop the legs out from under our PME ?
    If you want to blend in, take the bus