Thread: "Hot Pursuit" Doctrine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

"A peace officer in high-speed pursuit may never enter the Republic of Mexico, and any such high-speed pursuit must cease at the International border."

So, looks lahk ye gotta PIT that sumbuck before he hits the border, raht?

Hmmm.....how'd you like to see an up armored Hummer PIT a Toyota pickup running for the Syrian border?
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

I looked for evidence on the net with no luck so it is likely a folk tale but I thought the Texas Rangers since the days of the Republic of Texas reserved the right to enter Mexico in pursuit of fugitives. This was supposedly agreed to by Mexico. Nothing on the net I can find so likely a tall tale like many surrounding the rangers.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

In retired Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson's book One Ranger, he tells of going into Mexico twice. He had to have permission from the Mexican authorities.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    In retired Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson's book One Ranger, he tells of going into Mexico twice. He had to have permission from the Mexican authorities.
    So it sounds like it may be "sort of" true. Interesting. Adding another book to the Amazon wish list.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

IIRC, he was accompanied by Mexican authorities and did not operate independently. I can't remember for sure and I have no way to check it at the moment, since I loaned the book to someone in my department.

One of the incidents was the Colorado Canyon shootings in 1988. Several Mexican boys fired at a rafting party in the Rio Grande from the Mexican side, so there were crime scenes on both sides of the river that had to be worked.

I can't remember the exact nature of the other incident but it seems like he went after a fugitive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joaquin_Jackson

Just as an aside "hot pursuit" doctrine is very interesting as it has wider implications when dealing with telecommunications. Between network treaties, tariffs, neutrality restrictions and national laws chasing thieves through the winding structures of the global grid and financial systems is daunting. The differing laws and social constructs become huge issues for even local constabulary forces. The interesting thing contrary to public perception is that the United States systems are often the offending locus for entities.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog

Default The Tartan border

One of the odd, apparently un-expected lessons of the Lockerbie bombing, in 1988, was the lack of any law on cross-border law enforcement issues between England and Scotland. I recall reading a document on what happened and what was required. No idea if anything changed. I know we were taught that a police officer from England and Wales crossed the border we had no legal powers and had to be accompanied by a Scottish officer(s).

Vaguely recall some legislation was mooted to allow for national law enforcement. Incidentally Northern Ireland, seperated by a stretch of sea, is in the same position - no mainland police have powers there.

davidbfpo