Thread: Strange request

Default Strange request

Looking for a statistic.

What was the total expenditure in pounds of American ordinance during world war 2?

Googled a bunch but it seems to huge. Even some battles would be good, but the big number would be better. Expended is the best number. Not created.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

There are two united states bombing surveys - one about Germany and another about japan.
    That's at least a significant chunk.

http://www.anesi.com/ussbs02.htm
    http://www.anesi.com/ussbs01.htm

I'm not 100% sure, but almost sure that the quantities are included.

Selil,
    I don't have the time to dig right now, but I recall hearing numerous comparisons of the tonnage of ordnance expended in Desert Storm and the tonnage expended in WWII. You might look for Desert Storm studies like Harry Summers' and check his references.

thanks all I think I have what I need.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

I will have to check, but the only reference I remember seeing were specific to air-delivered ordnance.

So, out of curiosity, what's the answer?
    Example is better than precept.

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    So, out of curiosity, what's the answer?
    The information fuchs posted is the better answer. The European and Pacific theater reports are fairly detailed. For comparisons sake I offer the following graphs. They reflect allied ordinance delivered by air in pounds in the Pacific theater. Separated by nuclear and conventional. The second graph shows the effective power differentials. Originally I wanted to find the actual total, but the reports overlap, contradict each other, and are even internally inconsistent. All to show the difference between measurements.

See the red slice?

Nuclear/Atomic weapons give a pretty big bang per shot.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog

Here is what I was working on: Cyberspace a terrain: Weaponization of the global grid

Where I attempt to show how effects are changing in scope.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog