Thread: What is the "Surge?"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Of schleps and surges

from RankAmateur
    I've also longed maintained that the - to the schlep watching TV - was US casualties.
    I'd suggest that US casualties (as an abstract number) have been the single most important metric to some schleps (def. 2) producing, announcing and punditting TV (who've used them to support their own political positions - "right" and "left" - without much if any shame).

I'd suggest that the person watching TV becomes concerned about US casualties (1) when that involves a relative, friend or neighbor; and / or (2) when US casualties do not seem to be resulting in what that person considers progress; or are (in that person's opinion) the result of a bad governmental policy decision to continue the war.

Vietnam (if you are of that generation) was the same thing

Iraq has been very much of a schlep (def. 1) - long and arduous, indeed; as attested by better men than I. So was Vietnam. As such, both include(d) surges, back and forth, forth and back. So, we saw and see Operation This or That (I, II and III, etc.).

So, what is the "Surge" ? Dammed if I really know; but it probably will be expressed differently next month from this month.

End Rant.

--------------------------------
    BTW: weren't sure whether you meant the older meaning of "schlep" (still used by paleo-anthropolgists re: technique of bringing back the produce of the hunt):

schlep : to drag or haul (an object); to make a tedious journey (from Yiddish shlepn; cf. German schleppen) (OED, MW)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Yiddish_origin

or, the more current slang meaning (last below)

schlep or schlepp also shlep (shlp) Slang
    v. schlepped also shlepped, schlep·ping or schlepp·ing also shlep·ping, schleps or schlepps also shleps
    v.tr.
    To carry clumsily or with difficulty; lug: schlepped a shopping bag around town.
    v.intr.
    To move slowly or laboriously: schlepped around with the twins in a stroller.
    n.
    1. An arduous journey.
    2. A clumsy or stupid person.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/schlep
    Last edited by jmm99; 07-25-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spell correction