Thread: What is the "Surge?"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[QUOTE=Alsultani;53433]
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Proctor View Post
    Right. Most have no idea how much Shia eschatology and feelings of historical persecution have added to the sociological stew. At first the Shia street welcomed political expressions of Shia power, so long denied. After these last few years though, a good majority of the Shia street realize the incompetent nihilism that the Shia militias represent. What do large scale extortion, assassination and kidnapping against Shia have to do with Shi'ism, they ask.

A name I heard mentioned frequently by Shia ISF officers from CPT to LTC level was Ayad Allawi as someone who could "finish" the terrorists and militias.

The Mahdi Army does NOT have the popular support of the Shia street. Ostensibly a religious organization, they have more in common with a street gang out for themselves. I've analogized that they are a cross between the branch davidians and the crips and bloods.
    Alsultani, excellent insights and riveting to read. I am encouraged to hear you mention Shia eschatology, a concept I have rarely heard mentioned outside theological/chaplain circles. Until one grasps the role of the Mahdi in contemporary Shia thought and action, the Shia remain mysterious and incomprehensible. There is a good deal of religious conceptualizing required to appreciate what the Shia think of as relevant, and it comes rather slowly to those who have not comitted to unraveling the various layers of Shia tradition and history. Blessings upon you!

I am also heartened to hear Dr. Alawi's name is being bandied about on the Shia street. If anyone has the right values, character, experience and vision, its Iyad Alawi. And he is a Shia, but is not an Islamist. Would to God his influence would increase in Baghdad!

I understand that Moqtada al Sadr was on the 'fast track' to becoming an Ayatollah - something that in reality cannot be done. Titles may be conferred on him by some, but real gravitas as a Shiite holy man require decades of preparation and experience as a cleric. Sistani is still the primary Ayatollah in Iraq. He's 80. He's a traditional quietist and not at all in step with his neighbors to the east.

I appreciate your incredible insights and I am glad you posted here for the benfit of this community of interest.
    Last edited by MSG Proctor; 07-31-2008 at 01:51 AM.
    "Its easy, boys. All we have to do is follow my simple yet ingenius plan..."