Thread: Afghanistan troop surge could backfire, experts warn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    1776? Wouldn't that be when the backwater locals rose up against the beneficent Empire and the foreign troops that sought to uphold the rule of law?

Or was it the revolution of rebellion against imposed religious ideology in favor of self-determination?
    "Its easy, boys. All we have to do is follow my simple yet ingenius plan..."

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Proctor View Post
    Or was it the revolution of rebellion against imposed religious ideology in favor of self-determination?
    No.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default Depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    No.
    Not the diaper; depends on whether you accord to the Scotch Irish view of that rebellion or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Not the diaper; depends on whether you accord to the Scotch Irish view of that rebellion or not...
    I don't tend to, frankly. I'm not a big revolutionary war type, but my experience with studying history in general (and my specialty areas in particular) leads me to be very suspicious of any *single* cause put forward for a major event. Religion played a role, but so did economics, ambitions (both of people and groups), and a certain amount of manipulating (conscious or otherwise) of outside parties. While religion might have played a role for the (suddenly interesting) Scotch Irish group, I doubt that it played quite as well with the more mercantile interests. Just one of those things...
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

I don't tend to, frankly. I'm not a big revolutionary war type, but my experience with studying history in general (and my specialty areas in particular) leads me to be very suspicious of any *single* cause put forward for a major event. Religion played a role, but so did economics, ambitions (both of people and groups), and a certain amount of manipulating (conscious or otherwise) of outside parties. While religion might have played a role for the (suddenly interesting) Scotch Irish group, I doubt that it played quite as well with the more mercantile interests. Just one of those things...
    The Canadians started it...

Council Member

If you can edudate the people in Afghanistan - at least so they can read and write - everything else becomes completely irrelevant. The mullahs and imams preach the message, and without people being able to read and write and comprehend the Qu'ran in a different manner than these mullahs, it is a lost cause.

As Ken said, 20 years minimum. More like 40 IMO.
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Thumbs up Tom's got it right...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    The Canadians started it...
    Still, while you're correct in all this:
    ...While religion might have played a role for the (suddenly interesting) Scotch Irish group, I doubt that it played quite as well with the more mercantile interests. Just one of those things...
    The religion referred to was not so much Presbyterianism resisting CofE / Anglican / Episcopalian domination as it was the real Scotch Irish religions; the dual track 'resist all attempts at good governance while making and drinking as much whiskey as possible -- preferable on a nontaxable basis.'