Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Army Service Uniform tomorrow?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    If you were a Drill Sgt, you could wear your Smokey bear hat -- that covers the eyes and ears, keeps the sun away, can be kept on in a stiff wind if you use a chin or rear strap; It's one of two one hundred percent American military head gear items and it only take about a half pound of sugar a week to keep the brim stiff -- unless you want to wear it like this LINK, the guy standing at the far end of the flatcar...
    Ah, the campaign cover. I was actually thinking of ordering one for ####s and giggles when I was working with 5-7 CAV, since they all had their silly little Stetsons (the Troop CO threatened to beat my ass when I called it that, he played rugby at West Point, so I kept a watchful eye on him after that ). I wanted one of the old fore and aft style hats, for some reason it just appealed to me more than the Montana peak hats. Never followed through on it. It is a good looking piece of gear, though. Just something timeless about it.

Default Agreed. On both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by VMI_Marine View Post
    ...(the Troop CO threatened to beat my ass when I called it that, he played rugby at West Point, so I kept a watchful eye on him after that )... I wanted one of the old fore and aft style hats, for some reason it just appealed to me more than the Montana peak hats.
    Excellent plan on the first and good taste on the second.

Quote Originally Posted by VMI_Marine View Post
    Ah, the campaign cover. I was actually thinking of ordering one for ####s and giggles when I was working with 5-7 CAV, since they all had their silly little Stetsons (the Troop CO threatened to beat my ass when I called it that, he played rugby at West Point, so I kept a watchful eye on him after that ). I wanted one of the old fore and aft style hats, for some reason it just appealed to me more than the Montana peak hats. Never followed through on it. It is a good looking piece of gear, though. Just something timeless about it.
    This is my favorite downrange uniform.

Yours truly in his best Aloha shirt, stetson, cigar, and guidon at COP Battle in March 2006.

Ahhh, the good old days. The great thing about being on a COP was that there wasn't a CSM around to get mad about it!
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    These uniforms are awful. Pure slop. I don't think a single female Sergeant Major was involved in the selection process.
    I remember the many, many yuks I had at the expense of the Air Force when McSqueak introduced the Airline Pilot uniforms and the BDU's with the leather flight suit patches. Perhaps this is karmic payback.
    He cloaked himself in a veil of impenetrable terminology.

Default Misuse of guvmint property...

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    ...The great thing about being on a COP was that there wasn't a CSM around to get mad about it!
    A large number of those folks seem to worry a lot more about uniformity, haircuts, shaving (all Sqd / Veh / Platoon NCO jobs), personnel assignments (the Adj and his crowd) and other exotica than they worry about assessing and improving the training, morale, attitude, care and feeding -- and employment -- of their assigned unit. That means, if a large number do in fact have such misplaced priorities, that the system is at fault. That means the Army's not doing it right. That's misuse of CSMs.

That's a lot of experience being wasted on inconsequentials; makes no sense. That really need to be fixed if that misalignment of priorities is correct.

If a Bn / Sqn has, say eight to twelve COPS out there, the CSM oughta get to each of 'em at least once every week or two (if he appears more often than that, then the 1SGs and Co Cdrs get upset ). That BTW is Bn /Sqn; Bdes are a slightly different kettle of fish but the principle and priorities for Bns still apply just longer periods and more people to care for. I'm aware of the dangers of travel in the 2004-2007 period; I'm also aware that food and ammo get or got to the COPs...

Oh -- and he ought to be doing that fairly regularly without tagging along with the Cdr most times.

It can be done; the good ones do it -- but it is frowned upon by too many including some Cdrs and thus I say it is a systemic problem of priority allocation. Mostly. Some folks aid and abet the system...

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    I nearly spit Johnny Walker all over my screen after seeing that photo of the new uniform. That guy has more stuff on his shirt than a greeter at Wal-Mart. It looks like whoever designed this eyesore was trying to cram everything from every uniform into one. I support the effort to decrease the number of uniforms, but making that smaller set of uniforms so much more complex and foolish looking seems counterproductive. Whatever benefit is achieved by having one less uniform is offset by the frustration of assembling it and the embarassment of wearing it.
    Now remember, Schmed, 15 pieces of flair is the minimum. More is always better.

SFC W

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    Now remember, Schmed, 15 pieces of flair is the minimum. More is always better.

SFC W
    It's office space all over again....

Where's his stapler?

Ken, a whistle is a great idea. While at it we might as well add an accessory crackberry pouch in matching dayglo....

Tom

Council Member

It just doesn't compare to the flair of these uniforms.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Default CSA/SMA sends

"The implementation of this wear policy represents another step in our transformation to a campaign quality expeditionary force that is dominant
    across the spectrum of 21st Century conflict.

Thanks for all that you do for the Nation and the Army. Army Strong!"
    CSA/SMA
    I think we've missed the brilliance behind the design of the new uniform. I believe this design was intentional. Given a choice of remaining CONUS and wearing this hideous unifrom OR volunteering for a MITT team and wearing ACUs, the choice is simple.

CSA/SMA is a genious- he has broken the mold of our culture to increase volunteer rates for deployments and assisting Big Army with embracing the Advisory Corps mission.

That's why we should never underestimate sergeants majors.

Army Strong!

Mike

Default I'm surprised no one's mentioned...

the absymal headcovering that the female soldier is wearing. Why do the services insist on clinging to those ugly looking tar buckets? The barracks cover (service cap to you soldiers) fits women just fine. And when is the female dress "outfit" going to really become uniform, i.e. looking like all the other soldiers? And please spare me the "women require different tailoring," women wear almost identical uniforms as the males at the military academies without any untoward difficulties. Why not on active service?

Dropping the beret for traditional headgear like the Stetson for the cav folks and the Montana Peak for all others would certainly solve the wind, rain, sun issue; althought the drill sergeants may take issue.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    It's office space all over again....

Where's his stapler?

Ken, a whistle is a great idea. While at it we might as well add an accessory crackberry pouch in matching dayglo....

Tom
    I'm just pissed that he beat me to the punch.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    This is my favorite downrange uniform.

Yours truly in his best Aloha shirt, stetson, cigar, and guidon at COP Battle in March 2006.

Ahhh, the good old days. The great thing about being on a COP was that there wasn't a CSM around to get mad about it!
    Roger that. COB=Garrison, COP=Theatre

"we went to war & garrison broke out"

As long as I still get to wear my stetson I can abide the ASU.

I notice you have no reflective belt in the photo.....

Council Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    If we are consolidating uniforms and finding a way to make berets required less often, then I am all for it. It's dumb to have an abundance of uniforms and berets were a bad idea.

Now I only hope that the Army can come to a consensus opinion that wearing helmets, pistol belts, and canteens during parades and ceremonies is absolutely stupid. Ditto interceptors. It still amazes me that some senior officer wore a stripped-down interceptor with no SAPIs to the ceremony when two of his Soldiers had the DSC pinned on by the President. Who thought that looked squared away?
    "Who thought that looked squared away ?"

that depends, did he have on his reflective belt also ???

Default The polls

I wanna know who these thousands and thousands of soldiers that were polled about the various uniforms are? Have yet to find one to admit they where polled. I wonder how many of us will be confused with a 3rd world dictator?
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.

Council Member

None of us.

We'll be confused with the local Mall security guards...

Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
    I I wonder how many of us will be confused with a 3rd world dictator?
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    None of us.

We'll be confused with the local Mall security guards...
    Unless your over 35, then you will be mistaken for a VFW member.
    Reed
    Quote Originally Posted by sapperfitz82 View Post
    This truly is the bike helmet generation.

There was a survey sent out in mid-2007 regarding the uniform. The survey was asking about mundane nonsense like the SSI badge or whatnot, and completely disregarded the fact that the uniform is one of the most god-awful pieces of junk anyone could have thought of. Seriously, if given the choice between the Army Service Uniform and the uniforms from Star Trek: The Motion Picture, I might choose the pastel disco pants from ST:TMP.

I replied to the survey saying "The Army might do best to re-examine the 'gays in the military' issue. Had we allowed openly gay people to serve, we might actually have a uniform that didn't look like it was designed by a colorblind idiot. Just saying."