Thread: Army opens prep school for dropouts to fill ranks

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default FFL language lessors - Simon Murray's book

Perhaps, a more balanced view. Re-read it recently in connection with Horne, Galula and Trinquier.

Amazon
    Legionnaire: Five Years in the French Foreign Legion (Mass Market Paperback)
    by Simon Murray (Author)
    -excerpt-
    .... With me were two Germans, a Spaniard, a Belgian, and two Dutchmen. Everybody was tense. The tape played in English, and I was informed that I was about to sign a five-year contract and that when l had signed there could be no turning back. The voice that came over the loudspeaker was solemn and had all the gloom of a judge pronouncing sentence of death. I wanted to talk to it, I wanted to talk to anybody who was English, but it was a one-way dialogue and it was decision-making time. We listened in silence and nobody said anything, nobody started shouting to get out, nobody cracked or lost their nerve or gave way to rising panic. Then we filed through into an office one at a time and signed the contract. It comprised three enormous tomes of unintelligible French. Attempts to read it were discouraged and would have been pointless, anyway.
    http://www.amazon.com/Legionnaire-Ye...ref=pd_sim_b_5

PS: selil. Not to start an argument since education is your department and not mine. The 30% figure has nothing to do with US ranking in world education (a separate discussion), but those that can meet Army standards. Perhaps, that figure has not changed since Mich State started as a land grant college. If so, you probably have the stats on that. Another point in the 30% figure is lack of physical and legal health. The article doesn't break out that stat. So, it is also possible that the same % that failed there would have failed in 1940, 1960. Don't have any stats there, but I suspect you do.

Regards
    Mike

Further PS - selil. There is some stuff re: your inquiry in War Crimes thread, but I haven't had time to post it - maybe this weekend. Damn day job.
    Last edited by jmm99; 08-27-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: add PS