PAO’s, IO Dudes, and PSYOPer’s, I could use some help if anyone has some recommendations.
I have been writing on and off in Small Wars Journal for the past year about foreign fighters, how they are recruited, what can be done about it, etc. I have another installment coming out in the next couple weeks but am starting to research for the next extension of this path I am on which is how to break the local communication cycles where foreign fighters are recruited. The new administration has already talked about their shift to Smart Power (which includes Strategic Communication, PSYOP, IO, etc.) which will be critical in accomplishing this. I just got done reading the study “Social Software and Security: An Initial ‘Net Assessment’” by NDU professors Dr. Mark Drapeau and Dr. Linton Wells http://www.ndu.edu/ctnsp/Defense_Tech_Papers.htm.
It’s really good and being not so savvy on new media, a good starting point for me.
Has anyone seen any research or case studies on how the US can use the new media to influence these hard to reach audiences where foreign fighters are being recruited? places the US doesn't have a persistent presence?
The above study gives some good case studies of how new media is being used. But, I am looking for some success stories from DOD and the West that are out there, where we have used new communications platforms (like this one) to engage vulnerable audiences. I have seen stories about CENTCOM using Youtube and an article about the British text messaging against the Taliban but I haven’t found much. Also, I want to look into the implications of using these new media platforms for SC, IO, PSYOP. Any thoughts you all have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.