Thread: Social Media: the widest impact of (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Good Post

Quote Originally Posted by MCalvin View Post
    My immediate thought would be to focus on the mobile space first, rather than the workstation-based internet platforms, like laptop or desktop computers. The mobile space is growing faster and is much more pervasive in many of the at-risk areas where I would imagine you are focused. From a technical, implementation standpoint, companies like Clickatell already provide the capability to reach mobile users across different carries in countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan with a relatively simple, commercial platform and API. A strong presence in the mobile space will create room to then drive people towards more content-rich and flexible platforms, like youtube or facebook, which could carry an even stronger message. Some new media platforms, like twitter, coexist within both spaces as well. I apologize for not having any case studies or examples at hand, but I thought this bit of information might be useful from the tech/implementation side.

Another consideration when looking at social media in a counterinsurgency capacity is to anticipate and plan for the intimidation that will likely arise when insurgents begin to target members of the population who are identified as using these technologies, whether mobile phones or computers. Any new media strategy must be built upon the ability to protect the population (or potential terrorist/insurgent recruits that we wish to influence) while also providing the communications channels for effective IO. Just a thought.

Hopefully this will at least give you a few points to think about!
    And welcome,

One thing to keep in mind is that any mass movements into the mobile realm which IMHO I agree will happen because (there's honestly little choice other than to cede that arena to one's opponents) is that it will also place the users (and their) information at a greater risk for compromise both in the information and physical domains.

So some major efforts to design and the define the how to's will probably be required in order to at least avoid the predictable issues.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Default incomplete

(Overlooked changing title, this is complete)

Not my area of interest, but in my reading the below book had references to how Singapore ensured Google searching for Jihad etc went to local, approved sites: 'Fighting Terrorism: Preventing the radicalisation of youth in a secular and globalised world', compiled by Abdul Halim Bin Kader; published in Singapore (free) and a very different explanation of the options.

The Kings College London (UK) Centre for has recently published a report on the web, maybe that will help: http://icsr.info/index.php (home page) and to report: http://icsr.info/news-item.php?id=21

Jihadica would be a good place to check: http://www.jihadica.com/

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-28-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Add links and title incorrect.