Thread: All about Camouflage & BCU (inc cartoons)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Camo, shamo...

Am I the only one who misses OG107 jungle fatigues? They weren't always the best option when new but my faded-out ones usually looked like the last thing I had rolled in.
    Last edited by Rifleman; 01-23-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Am I the only one who misses OG107s? They weren't always the best option when new but my faded-out ones usually looked like the last thing I had rolled in.
    I am very much a fan of the OGs. I say bring them back -- it would solve all of this nonsense.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Default True. Solid color but blended well

and even though the material wasn't IR suppressive they were more than adequate -- plus they're a whole lot cheaper...

Default Varying the OD

I think someone on this forum mentioned in a post last year that the OD concept could be taken a step further and integrated with the distribution of fabric paint/ spray to allow customisation at the lowest levels. If the fabric paint was relatively temporary and washed out or faded after a few days of wear then that's no problem, reapply when possible. For recognition purposes it could be applied through a cut-out template to preserve uniformity. It wouldn't be parade-ground pretty, but it would be a darn sight cheaper than the patented stuff and would be limited in effectiveness only by the adaptability of the soldiers and organisation employing it. Again, I think someone else on this board raised this idea first a while back so there is no originality here on my behalf. I do, however, think it holds merit.
    '...the gods of war are capricious, and boldness often brings better results than reason would predict.'
    Donald Kagan

Council Member

Default Everything old is new again?

It was common for MACV-SOG Recon Teams to wear OGs and add some spray paint touches before a mission. This was often their choice even though tigers and the like were available.

Link: http://rallypointmilitaria.com/page/29

But I can't see conventional units going that way. The 1SGs I knew would have a fit.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper