Thread: Blogs to Watch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Great finds

On both counts. Nice job !

War and Peace - by Mark Urban, BBC News Night diplomatic and defense editor. Urban authored Big Boys' Rules: The SAS and the secret struggle against the IRA, which I imagine many here have read.

IS IT SAFE?, by Sam Fadis, former CIA officer runs a blog discussing terrorism and homeland security for The Capital of Annapolis, Md. Fadis is the author of Operation Hotel California: The Clandestine War Inside Iraq which was just published.

Eeben Barlow's Military and Security Blog
    About Me
    Eeben Barlow
    I founded the Private Military Company (PMC) Executive Outcomes (EO) in 1989. The company operated primarily in Africa helping African governments that had been abandoned by the West. EO also operated in South America and the Far East. I have lectured, and still lecture, to military colleges and universities on security and defence issues in several countries. I believe that only Africans can truly solve Africa’s problems. I currently consult to a USA-based company.
    [h/t: Feral Jundi]

National Journal Expert Blogs: National Security

Contributors:
    Richard Aboulafia, Gordon Adams, Norman R. Augustine, Andrew Bacevich, Milt Bearden, Courtney Banks, Michael Brown, Daniel Byman, Vincent Cannistraro, James Jay Carafano, Col. Joseph J. Collins, Wolfgang H. Demisch, Lt. Gen. Jay M. Garner, Daniel Gouré, Lee Hamilton, Kathleen Hicks, Bruce Hoffman, Michael Jackson, Brian Michael Jenkins, Col. Robert Killebrew, Rachel Kleinfeld, Steven Kosiak, Andy Krepinevich, Dick Kohn, Larry Korb, Col. W. Patrick Lang, Hillary Mann Leverett, Col. Douglas Macgregor, Ron Marks, Stewart Patrick, Jim Phillips, Paul R. Pillar, Norman Polmar, Richard Hart Sinnreich, Maj. Gen. Robert Scales, Kori Schake, Michael F. Scheuer, Michael Schiffer, Chris Seiple, Daniel Serwer, Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo., Loren Thompson, Rep. Mac Thornberry, R-Texas, Stewart Verdery, Bing West, Winslow T. Wheeler, Wayne White, Sam Worthington, Dov S. Zakheim, Amy Zegart, Gen. Anthony C. Zinni

Nice find - I like the format too. It reminds me of some of the panel discussions you see at experiments and working groups.
    Best, Rob

Foreign Policy magazine has augmented their blog section. New features include:

Meanwhile, Passport will be joined by a host of new blogs. Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter and Fiasco author Tom Ricks will comment on military matters at The Best Defense. Harvard's Stephen Walt, coauthor of The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy, will inject a dose of realism into the online political debate. Superclass author David Rothkopf will give readers an inside look at the global powerbrokers who really run the world. FP senior editor Carolyn O'Hara and a crack team of Clinton-watchers will be obsessively following all things Hillary at Madam Secretary. And a coterie of conservative foreign-policy heavyweights, including Peter Feaver, Philip Zelikow, and FP's newest editor -- and Condoleeza Rice's longtime speechwriter -- Christian Brose, will be on hand to critique the Obama presidency at Shadow Government: Notes from the loyal opposition.

Some blogging veterans are also adding their names to our digital masthead. Daniel Drezner's readers already know that he has brought his must-read blog on foreign policy, international economics (and occasionally the Red Sox) over to FP. Marc Lynch's essential Middle East politics blog Abu Aardvark has also come aboard. And investigative journalist Laura Rozen will be writing The Cable, featuring original coverage, scoops, and behind-the-scenes reporting about the making of Washington's foreign policy in the age of Obama.

We'll also feature partnerships with the Small Wars Journal and a new column, The Call, with political forecasting by Ian Bremmer and the political risk consulting firm Eurasia Group.
    Congrats to SWJ for its continued success, and this new opportunity to reach more readers in it's new partnership with Foreign Policy.

Default Pakistan observer

Have read this US-based, Pakistani authored website and suggest regular dipping into: http://watandost.blogspot.com/

Rex had an earlier thread which id'd the authors as: Dr. Hassan Abbas, Research Fellow at the Belfer Center's Project on Managing the Atom and International Security Program, former government official who served in the administrations of Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto (1995–1996) and President Pervez Musharraf (1999–2000), and author of the blog Watandost on Pakistan-related affairs.