Vets for Freedom's Wade Zirkle and David Bellavia have returned to Iraq - this time as embeds to report on the training and efficacy of Iraqi Security and Police Forces, and to gauge the morale and combat effectiveness of US forces.

Here are the latest posts:

The Mighty MiTT!

OK…I’m back to a computer. I have just spent a few days embedded with Military Transition Team 10. MiT Team 10 is responsible for advising an infantry battalion in the Seventh Iraqi Army Division in Ramadi. This unit is not as experienced as the First Division in which David was embedded. They are a newer, younger unit, but they show great promise. The MiT team is made up of a group of handpicked US Soldiers and Marines that have been selected to be advisors to the Iraqis. The Iraqi to MiTT ratio is about 10:1. The most impressive thing about this Iraqi unit is that they are running their outfit themselves (as opposed to the US running their unit). The Iraqi Company Commander tells the MiT Team when and where they will patrol. Usually, the MiT Team only follows along and offers guidance along the way when necessary...
Ramadi... with the Iraqi Army

This is amazing. I have not spoken to wade in three days. And I have to return this laptop to its owner in two mintues... the Iraqi army is taking real estate from the enemy. Seeing these men in action is amazing. The people of Ramadi trust them. THey give them bread and tea. Kids are playing soccer and riding donkeys in the street. THe unit I am with (1st Iraqi division) is the oldest of the Iraqi army units. They have literally fought in every named and unnamed operation in Iraq. From Sadri City, Najaf, Fallujah, Haditha, Baghdad.. you name it. It is unbelievable. This unit has been bloddied... but more impressively they have bloodied the enemy 10 to 1. They drive their own Humvees, conduct their own patrols and plan their invidual movements...
Back in the Saddle

I have finally made it to Ramadi. I hopped on a logistics convoy for the final westerly leg of this trip. This was my first ride in a 7-Ton truck since a suicide bomber hit my platoon while I was riding in one on Labor Day of 2004. It was a catastrophic hit that killed 10 men (seven Marines and three Iraqi Special Forces) and wounded five others including myself. The 7-Tons now have upgraded armor systems that make the vehicles a much harder target. The convoy was about 2/3 military trucks and 1/3 KBR (Kellogg Brown and Root) contractor-driven tractor-trailers. There was also a security element of MP Humvees that was intermixed into the column. The same KBR team and the Marine logistics platoon work almost exclusively together and work well as a team. I am amazed at the number of contractors that are working here in-country to help make the maintenance, supply and logistical aspects of this war effort work. To my knowledge this is unprecedented in American warfare. I will have more to write on that when I get back to the states...