Ken White said that - too similar for simple coincidence - a few years ago.

I was being kind in what I said because having watched the controlled implosion of the remnants of the British Empire and with it British influence I appreciate how painful the demise of the US as the leading world power must be to the majority of Americans.

With Ukraine, however, we now witness abject cowardice from the US and Britain.

Lets start here:

Budapest Memorandums on Security Assurances, 1994

Quote 1:

The Presidents of Ukraine, Russian Federation and United States of America, and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom signed three memorandums (UN Document A/49/765) on December 5, 1994, with the accession of Ukraine to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. Through this agreement, these countries (later to include China and France in individual statements) gave national security assurances to Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine. The Joint Declaration by the Russian Federation and the United States of America of December 4, 2009 confirmed their commitment.
Quote 2:

1. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, to respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine;

2. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or

political independence of Ukraine, and that none of their weapons will ever be used against Ukraine except in self-defence or otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations;

etc
Not worth the paper it was written on...

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
Has there been a day in the last 5 decades that has not seen somebody, somewhere. proclaiming the demise of American power?

Pardon us if we fail to wail and rend our garments. If we did that every time we heard that our trade balance with China would be even worse than it already is.