100 push-ups for untucked bootlace would be an exageration but I have had NCO's drop soldiers in my team for 30-50 pushups for BDU chest pocket unbuttoned (soldier took a lot of notes), boot strings untucked and dirty boots. Not ok when you are not the soldiers TL, SL or PltSgt. Correct the soldier and I (as the TL) will determine if more needs to be done. As far as a smoking as soldier for an NCO created situation real life story - In New Orleans after Katrina, a young PFC is told to drive a 5t down a narrow road that had been washed out. PFC states he does not think the truck will make it. E-6 syas just follow me, and leads in Humvee. Shoulder of road gives out under 5t on 5t gets stuck. E6 proceeds to smoke PFC for 2 1/2 hours while waiting for a wrecker. PFC was not in my team but it P.Oed me all to heck when I found out about it anyway. Even when "smoking" is warranted, there is usually another way. Even in the examples given, there were non-humiliation means of addressing the problem. Screaming does not equal leading.
Reed