Thread: Corrective Training vs Punishment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Did I miss read you

Quote Originally Posted by JAG Major View Post
    That is exactly what I was trying to say.
    JagMajor,
    Maybe its a clarity index issue on my part, I can live with that. But I felt from your initial response to my posting about the Soldier losing his weapon. (yes it was based on real circumstances) That I had acted inappropriately in devising a "solution" for that individuals behavior, and that I should have turned that over to the Commander for non-judicial punishment, or a form of corrective training that he/she might designate. I think the boiling point of this issue is the term punishment or to be more precise the "corrective training/punishment line. Yes I see now that you were trying to help sort the issues between the two.

My last two cents and then I promise I will let this go... If I make Joe show up 20 minutes before formation Tuesday for being late on Monday morning. Will he/she tell you I am receiving corrective training or/ I am being punished for being late. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I would submit that in many instances so is punishment. Yes we as leaders must know and understand the difference. Blackhorse thanks for synthesizing the issue for us both.

Hoh
    Last edited by Anthony Hoh; 04-02-2009 at 03:59 PM.

I tend to think that UCMJ is a weapon of last resort, especially with Field Grade Article 15s. After all, if you're throwing a guy into the breech and priming him up for the Battalion Commander to launch him, that implies you don't think your Company/Battery/Troop/Team Commander can bring enough pain.