Thread: Battle of Malakov, 8 September 1855

Default Battle of Malakov, 8 September 1855

And on this day in 1855 near Sevastopol in the Crimean War, the phrase "Synchronize watches" was used in preparation for the first attack coordinated by timepieces.

Note that this allowed for precise coordination of elements out of contact without visual or audiable signals, and by World War I and the advent of wristwatches a sargeant could afford, was a critical enabler for a revolution in infantry tactics.

Default Earlier synchronization--Macedonian Style

In a planned confrontation with the Persians, Alexander needed a way to synchronize his forces as they converged from different directions. His Science and Technology advisor advised Alexander that they had discovered a dye that would change color after some hours exposure to sunlight. This color change could be used to tell the wing commanders when to attack. Alexander, therefore, placed his forces during the night and had each leader of his split forces tie a strip of cloth soaked with the chemical to their arm, to be uncovered at dawn of the next day. When the color change occurred, the otherwise out of touch forces would execute their missions.

Later in the day, the Persian commander was completely surprised as the Macedonians converged upon him from multiple directions. When he asked his staff how Alexander could coordinate such an attack, the response was "Alexander's Rag Time Band."
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    And on this day in 1855 near Sevastopol in the Crimean War, the phrase "Synchronize watches" was used in preparation for the first attack coordinated by timepieces.

Note that this allowed for precise coordination of elements out of contact without visual or audiable signals, and by World War I and the advent of wristwatches a sargeant could afford, was a critical enabler for a revolution in infantry tactics.
    Fascinating stuff Van! The impact of Watches, Maps, and small compasses are much undervalued and underrated.

Today the most unreported tactical enabler is the MIL-STD 1913 rail. It's changed the infantry forever!!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition