Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sears licenses the Big Red One

Council Member

Default Sears licenses the Big Red One

Army still has further to go in order to match the mighty MC in the game of selling public image.
    Reed
    OOhh OOhh...A new Crest! One as cool as the globe and anchor! Could place it on the new class A's!

Default Criminal stupidity at DA

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    is the answer to that question...

The inmates are in charge.

I'm not all that surprised. The military in general needs to remake its image for a generation that is more interested in flash than substance.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Hell, since I can't wear my colored Big Red One patch on my ACUs, might as well wear it on a Sears hooded sweater!

Personally, I do not see the big deal. If it helps promote awareness of a) soldiers exist in this country, b) we are actually in a war and c) some of the money goes to help our wounded troops.

I'm a 1ID vet, wear the 1ID combat patch (subdued unfortunately) and do not see this as a big deal. People have been able to buy 1ID stuff from everywhere from cafepress.com to US Cav. At least Sears and the Pentagon have a say in where the money goes and some control over how it is used.

If you are going to be one, might as well be a Big Red One!
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet withstanding, go out to meet it."

-Thucydides

Default Mr. Leo

I am reminded of Robin Williams as Adrian Cronaeur doing the gay fashion designer in Good Morining Vietnam

We've got a special man in the audience
    today, Right now, it's Mr Leo.

He's a fashion consultant for the Army.
    "Oh, thank you, Adrian.
    I'm just very happy to be here.

I want to tell you something.
    You know, this whole camouflage thing
    for me doesn't work very well".

Why is that? "Well, because you go
    in the jungle, I can't see you.

You know, it's like wearing
    stripes and plaid. For me,
    I want to do something different.

You know, you go in the jungle,
    make a statement.
    If you're going to fight, clash.

I think Sears is going to be upset when they don't sell any. Seriously, who really cares? John Murtha, apparently.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Default Ha!!!!!

Air assault!!!
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Quote Originally Posted by jkm_101_fso View Post
    I think Sears is going to be upset when they don't sell any. Seriously, who really cares? John Murtha, apparently.
    I somehow got my doubts about just how pop this Red One will be. I see literally 100s (of civilians) here in cammies, mostly RUBS on brand new HDs. This Sierra is popular, and what the heck, it sells.

I also don't see the harm, so long as we get some much needed funds for things like AAFES and other non-appropriated funded areas for the troops.

Maybe some discounts on Craftsman tools for Stan ?
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

While I certainly see why some people are upset, I have to say that this might (emphasis on might) be a good thing. For quite some time now I have been hearing calls to increase the size of the Armed Forces. What I don't hear is many practical ideas on how to do that. Many people seem to think that if we just get Congress to increase the authorized strength of the military that magically more recruits will appear to fill those new slots. That implies that we are now turning away significant numbers of qualified applicants because we do not now have the room for them. Unless I have been REALLY misinformed, that isn't happening. People just aren't lining up to enlist. I suspect that at least part of the reason is that people don't have any connection with the military anymore. How many civilians these days have not only never served but don't know anyone well who has ever served? Even within the military itself I meet a lot of guys who are proud to serve but do not want their children to serve. I think that the military is a big mystery to most civilians and this is (I hope) the first step to putting the military back on the radar, sort of the earliest part of a new PR campaign to make the military attractive to more people.

SFC W

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I somehow got my doubts about just how pop this Red One will be. I see literally 100s (of civilians) here in cammies, mostly RUBS on brand new HDs. This Sierra is popular, and what the heck, it sells.
    What are RUBS, HDs and Sierras?

Quote Originally Posted by jkm_101_fso View Post
    What are RUBS, HDs and Sierras?
    Sorry about that. Even after 23 years and more than a decade since retiring, I have this abysmal need to use the phonetic alphabet, abbreviations and acronyms from great sources like Acronym Finder and my favorite, the Urban Dictionary.

That said...
    Rich Urban BikerS on Harley-Davidson motorcycles love this S**T.

How's that
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Ahhh. Gotcha. Makes sense.

It sure seems to be an up hill battle with recruiting and retention. I recently saw a documentary on an Army recruiter somewhere in Louisiana and the battle he had generating acceptable recruits in small town USA. It shows him at a community meeting on college benefits and when his turn came almost the entire room fled.

Quote Originally Posted by bismark17 View Post
    It sure seems to be an up hill battle with recruiting and retention. I recently saw a documentary on an Army recruiter somewhere in Louisiana and the battle he had generating acceptable recruits in small town USA. It shows him at a community meeting on college benefits and when his turn came almost the entire room fled.

You are referring to the HBO Documentary, "The Recruiter" which was shown at the 2008 Sundance Film Festive. Great documentary which really captured both the difficulties recruiters have to overcome to get people into the military and the general mood of the civilian population (at least in this small town).

Here is the link:

http://www.hbo.com/docs/docuseries/t...ter/index.html

Not sure if a rack of 1ID sweatshirts would help the recruiting effort
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet withstanding, go out to meet it."

-Thucydides

Default maybe not..but maybe

Not sure if a rack of 1ID sweatshirts would help the recruiting effort
    But it might, and it is a start. As I alluded to earlier, one of things the Marines do very well, is sell themselves to the public. Army, outside of Airborne, Rangers and SF, do not sell themselves nearly as well. Are the Marines really that much more super fantastic (and can SHOOT LAZER BEAMS...FROM THERE EYES!)? No, but they really know how to work PR. I see no harm in the endeavor and possible benefits. I think some of the negative backlash from us "old-timers" is resistance to change.
    Reed

Reed,
    I have no doubt about the Marines ability to conduct PR...from the better looking uniforms to the sharper commercials...they have literally had to sell themselves to survive over the years and became excellent at it. Personally, I say anything we can do that raises the image of the Army in the eyes of the general public is a great thing. If we can possibly help recruiting while raising money for the troops as well then those are just bennies to the initial intent.

-Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
    Are the Marines really that much more super fantastic (and can SHOOT LAZER BEAMS...FROM THERE EYES!)?
    Reed
    When I was a guest student at the Command and Control Systems School at Quantico, my classmates assured me they indeed COULD shoot lazer beams from their eyes, but there was an ALMAR preventing them from demonstrating the skill to a non-Marine in CONUS so I couldn't verify it. They also made a big to-do about being able to slam revolving doors and put toothpaste back into tubes...

As for the recruiting aspect, I don't see it helping. My experience in recruiting led me to conclude that the majority of adveritising for the armed forces, be it print, radio, or television is just noise and clutter. Kids might think that Godsmack music in the Navy commericals is cool, or be impressed by the Marine Corps Silent Drill Team on TV, but that doesn't increase or decrease propensity to enlist. There are four broad categories of mindset when it comes to enlisting: 1.Will enlist/service chosen, 2.will enlist/service undecided, 3.undecided/uninformed, 4.won't enlist regardless of circumstances. When prospecting for leads you figure out what category a person is in fairly quickly. If you have a 1. or a 4. you move on quickly because no amount of discussion will change the mind of these folks, however you do leave the door open in case there is a change in their circumstances. The second and third category is where recruiters must really do their work, because advertising doesn't help these people decide to enlist. The quality of the relationship they build with the recruiter is what matters. USAREC has a cynical saying that "the first to contact is the first to contract", but there is some truth to it. The first recruiter that discusses options for joining the service with a young man or woman has an opportunity to form a relationship based on straight talk which can evolve into trust. The quality of the applicant/recruiter experience ulitmately drives enlistments IMO. 1ID sweatshirts from Sears won't.
    "Law cannot limit what physics makes possible." Humanitarian Apsects of Airpower (papers of Frederick L. Anderson, Hoover Institution, Stanford University)

Default I have no problem with trying different approaches

to get people interested in the Army. I do have a problem with the conflict between this law LINK and a couple of others designed to prevent misuse of and disrespect to the uniform and the people that wore or wear it.

I also strongly object to the Armed Forces stooping to pander; it's one thing to sponsor a Formula 1 or NASCAR racer, another to start trading off the heritage for infinitesimal gain.

Cheapening a brand never improved it. Slippery slopes and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    to get people interested in the Army. I do have a problem with the conflict between this law LINK and a couple of others designed to prevent misuse of and disrespect to the uniform and the people that wore or wear it.

I also strongly object to the Armed Forces stooping to pander; it's one thing to sponsor a Formula 1 or NASCAR racer, another to start trading off the heritage for infinitesimal gain.

Cheapening a brand never improved it. Slippery slopes and all that...
    To me the NASCAR sponsoring (advertising) and the selling logos on clothes (advertising) are one in the same. No difference in my eyes. Just my $.02.

-Thucydides