Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sears licenses the Big Red One

Default The difference is between

this: LINK

and this: LINK

The first is a a logo with no unit loyalty or combat pride connotation issues -- nor is it uniform insignia in the legal sense; the second carries both those burdens. I have no problem with the former; I don't even have a problem with the 1st ID patch being used. I would, OTOH, not like to see the 1st Mar Div, 82d, 101st or SF patches so used...

The legal problem will be the undoing of a IMO, necessary law.

Quote Originally Posted by sullygoarmy View Post
    To me the NASCAR sponsoring (advertising) and the selling logos on clothes (advertising) are one in the same. No difference in my eyes. Just my $.02.
    sully gotta disagree on that one. For years the 4th of July race at Daytona was known as the Medal of Honor Firecracker 400. This was happening during the Vietnam War! A big differance between NASCAR and Sears. But if it is done respectfulluy it may turn out to be a good idea. Besides they stole the basic idea from the SWJ when we were talking about having t-shirts made up with the SWJ logo on them.

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Besides they stole the basic idea from the SWJ when we were talking about having t-shirts made up with the SWJ logo on them.

We have a logo?

Default Logo?

Is it that pic in the upper left hand corner of a Humvee stuck in the river being observed by a local walking a donkey?
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 09-13-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: minor language issue
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

jkm,reed Yes, the avatar of SWJED.

Default Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post

The first is a a logo with no unit loyalty or combat pride connotation issues -- nor is it uniform insignia in the legal sense; the second carries both those burdens. I have no problem with the former; I don't even have a problem with the 1st ID patch being used. I would, OTOH, not like to see the 1st Mar Div, 82d, 101st or SF patches so used...

I agree the Army Strong (old Army of One) logo does not inspire the same loyalty and pride as a combat unit SSI, but it is now uniform insignia for at DA level.
    "Law cannot limit what physics makes possible." Humanitarian Apsects of Airpower (papers of Frederick L. Anderson, Hoover Institution, Stanford University)

Default The Air Force redid their logo and adopted it as an

insignia. Theirs is okay in my estimation. The Army logo is less attractive and symbolic IMO and doesn't adopt well as an insignia.

I noticed a picture of Cody, the Vice, with that patch a few weeks ago. Whatever turns their crank.

I liked the old DA patch well enough (LINK) but tastes differ...

[QUOTE=Ken White;56519] The Army logo is less attractive and symbolic IMO and doesn't adopt well as an insignia.

QUOTE]

Agreed. It looks like a brand label. The only thing missing is the registered trademark symbol embroidered into the cloth.
    "Law cannot limit what physics makes possible." Humanitarian Apsects of Airpower (papers of Frederick L. Anderson, Hoover Institution, Stanford University)

That was an interesting movie. I really felt for the guy but saw a follow up on it and he is happy to be back in the mix with the 2nd Ranger Blt.

Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    I agree the Army Strong (old Army of One) logo does not inspire the same loyalty and pride as a combat unit SSI, but it is now uniform insignia for at DA level.
    That's been showing up on recruiters around here for the past six+ months. I thought it was some sort of GI Joe spin-off marking at first....
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    That's been showing up on recruiters around here for the past six+ months. I thought it was some sort of GI Joe spin-off marking at first....
    I guess in a way it is!
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet withstanding, go out to meet it."

-Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post

The First ID already turned up in one of the Call of Duty games, anyhow....
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    The First ID already turned up in one of the Call of Duty games, anyhow....

Yeah my wife got me that game right after I left 1ID...actually is pretty cool playing a game with your unit in it!

Duty First!
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet withstanding, go out to meet it."

-Thucydides

I worked with BRO guys at Fort Riley. An interesting bunch, and the division certainly has a good history to pull on for that sort of thing.