Thread: Help needed from a French Marine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered User defense linguistics's Avatar

Not a French Marine, but I know many who are, including members of 1&2 RIMa. Regimental histories are really not my field, but I'll try to put you in touch with someone who can help.

Council Member

Default Thank you ...

for the response and offer of assistance.

There was a French Marine officer who posted a few times here, but I forget his handle. Have to do some searching also.

Registered User defense linguistics's Avatar

Council Member

Default Page interouvable ...

Nous sommes désolés ...

Tried your url from a clean window of IE with same result - then tried each directory back to the root - same result.

Only the root

http://www.francetvod.fr/

works. Got from there to this (where I assume you pointed)

http://www.france5.fr/

and lo and behold - the promo screen brought up a clip shot of "Histoire de l'Armee ..., which hitting its "little hand" led to:

http://wiki.france5.fr/index.php/HIS...CAISE_A_LA_COM

which is a COMMENTAIRES page, where I could have left a commentary - chose not to - five letter word beginning with "m".

Finally, back to ... france5.fr, & daylight in the swamp - it is playing on chan 5, today at 20:35. Voila !

-----------------
    Usually I try to be a smart, lazy guy; but today, obviously a dumb, diligent guy - the most dangerous of the four variants.

Merci for the headsup - and for (unintentionally) injecting a bit of humor in a day which has not started well.

Council Member

Default Here is what I'm looking for ....

Trying to get back to the smart, lazy guy - with feet up on desk and thinking.

Besides my first three questions on regimental history (which I would like someone to answer, if possible), I was looking for some on-line resources on the French Marines (besides those I already found - there is also some Wiki-type stuff in English).

Looking at myself as a smart, but very ignorant, recruit, what I need - to begin with - are the French Marine equivalent (on-line) of the Guidebook for Marines and the Platoon Leaders Handbook.

Going on from there, it would be nice if there were a French Marine on-line equivalent of our SWC Reference Library.

http://smallwarsjournal.com/reference/

I am not asking for an equal to equal on-line discussion as such, because I am too ignorant to do so. There are many others here who could handle that from the gitgo - I am not one of them.

What I need is more in-depth on-line French Marine background than I've found.

Hoping this message might be helpful to whomever might be willing to help.

Merci in advance.

As a French Marine Reserve Officer, I suggest you read this website (in French and with an English Version). This is an unofficial website for Troupes de Marine:
    http://www.troupesdemarine.org/index2.htm

Cordialement
    Lieutenant (US: 1/LT) de réserve Stéphane TAILLAT
    Régiment d'Infanterie-Chars de Marine (former "Régiment d'Infanterie coloniale du Maroc, founded in 1915)

Council Member

Default Bonjour, mon lieutenant & merci

I remembered that you posted here, but forgot the name. As an ".. Histoire, Officer ..." (remembered you were a teacher - apparently a common profession for reserve officers), I hit the right man.

I will look at the webpage. Right now I am in the midst of completing a drop-dead project, which has to "be in the mail" this afternoon.

Probably will be back with questions, either here or in a PM.
    Last edited by jmm99; 09-18-2008 at 05:02 PM.