Hi folks,

I'm currently engaged in a project (academic/open source) looking at suicide attacks (specifically organisational capability to mount different attacks against different types of target).

As part of this I'm interested in exploring the mechanics and TTPs of groups employing this tactic and I was wondering if council members had any pointers to useful public sources concerning the operation of suicide attack cells in Iraq (and possibly Afghanistan, though I've already got some good material there). There seems to be a bit of a gap on the Iraqi front (or I'm looking in the wrong places - hence the request).

One of the few books published on the subject (Hafez, M 'Suicide Bombers in Iraq', USIP, 2007) doesn't really delve into this beyond discussing who might be responsible and what they target. The most useful thing I've found thus far on Iraq is an article in Defense News (Grant, G 'Inside Iraqi Insurgent Cells: Captured Terrorist Intel May Help Defeat IEDs', Defense News, 1 August 2005). Also some of the CTC's Harmony materials are useful re: recruitment etc.

Anything in the public domain regarding organisational structures, recruitment/ training/motivation, ISR, device procurement/construction, logistical support, deployment and media exploitation (or frankly anything else) would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

GH.