Thread: Good Layman's guide to the financial crisis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Very interesting work done by a couple of PhD economists showing that the current economic trends are either tracking with the Great Depression, or are in fact even worse:

http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/3421

Tip o' the Porkpie to Fabius Maximus
    Fabius Maximus runs a good blog. Not sure if it is small wars enough to make the SWJ blog watch, but every now and again he posts articles of interest to the community. The first reference to Col. MacGregor's "Refusing Battle" article I saw on his blog.
    He cloaked himself in a veil of impenetrable terminology.

Council Member

GSD-RC, 5 Mar 09: The Impact of Financial Crises on Conflict and Social Stability
    Query: Identify emerging analysis on the potential of the current global financial crisis to affect social stability, cohesion and exacerbate conflict and fragility, including lessons learned from previous regional and global economic crises.

Enquirer: AusAID

1. Overview
    2. Empirical Research
    3. Security Implications
    4. Social Consequences
    5. Migration
    6. Blogs
    7. Press Articles
    8. Resources on the Impact of Economic Conditions on Political Stability
    9. Further Resources
    10. Additional Information

Default Ex-IMF economist writes

A rather lengthy article, by Simon Johnson, with many insights and very political. Interesting options available now, scary I'd say and are our / your politicians brave enough? Anyway the link is: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/print/200905/imf-advice

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-25-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add author's name

Default Thanks for posting that, David

Good article. I'm an optimist but his bad scenario is the one I hope succeeds -- anything less and we'll all revert to business as usual because the Politicians, as he says, are aligned with the Bankers...

So, no, I doubt any Politicians are brave enough...

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    A rather lengthy article, with many insights and very political. Interesting options available now, scary I'd say and are our / your politicians brave enough? Anyway the link is: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/print/200905/imf-advice

davidbfpo
    Should be read by all.....scary stuff.

Council Member

Default The Atlantic

I read the Atlantic article. I found it scary and informative.

I read Goldberg's article in the next issue. also about finance. Not as informative.

(Video) Naked short selling - redefining systemic risk, by Judd Bagley. DeepCapture, 06 May 2009. (18 Minutes)
    This is the newest video from Deep Capture Productions, examining the attack on Sedona Corp, and applying the insights gained from it to the broader market — including the possibility that the federal government has recently been spending billions of dollars to take the liability of accumulated failed trades off the books of broker-dealers.
    Fantastic work. Sedona Corp was the victim of a private investment in public equities (PIPE) funding fraud; what makes this case important is that the fraud when exposed would lead to the collapse of Refco, which at the time (2005) was the fourth largest bankruptcy in American history.

Council Member

Unhappy

This whole Chrysler-Fiat deal where the bond holders are potentially going to take a hit is starting to have ramifications. Just hearing the corporate bond folks talking, and the waves from this will start small, but may not end up that way.

Have heard from several bond managers that they are doing immediate reviews on all their bond holdings, to see what portion of their holdings could reasonably be expected to be "at risk" in a similar type of situation to what is happening at Chrysler-Fiat. They are also applying the same type of "intensive review" to their tax exempt bond holdings, because if those went into receivership and the public entity issuing the bonds is also highly unionized, they're seriously concerned that they could get seriously screwed over, or at least have a portion of their bond investments tied up into knots for an extended period of time.

Anybody remember the lessons from Bear Stearns (Bear Stearns survived the first liquidity challenge, in the summer of 2007, when two of its hedge funds cratered after the subprime mortgage collapse), but couldn't survive the second one. It was a much different situation, but the overall problem ended up being a crisis in confidence. And the result is known.

The bond market managers that I know are getting very uneasy, and that's out of the ordinary. They look to be getting nervous, and when those folks get happy feet", watch out.

Hesitant to post this, but it's what I'm hearing and what I'm seeing....