Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SWJ: praise given and reviews (merged)

Smile Repost: Project Starfish request for ideas.

Below is a post I submitted several months back - got some direct but mostly indirect responses - good info but not much to operationalize a concept....so....am asking for concrete ideas prior to our 1-2 Sep Initial Planning Conf for Project Starfish: Have funding and a sponsor (JFCOM JIWC & IWSP/TSWG) to start a collaborative Irregular Warfare Community of Interest focused on Education/Training first - web based. Idea is not to compete with existing COIs like SWJ, but to integrate efforts so the left hands working IW issues/education know what the right hands are doing (and POCs for both hands) We're not competing with Consortium of Complex Operations inititiave, but again - trying to complement and intergrate these efforts. If you haven't picked up on it, IW is the buzzword of the day in the QDR and all other DOD forums. Your suggestions to the questions below WILL get inputted into the mission analysis that will occur 1-2 Sep in Suffolf. Appreciate up front your time and concern for this venture. We owe our SOF and GPF + IA folks the best/cutting edge knowledge to stay ahead of the bad guys and drain their swamps!!! De Oppresso Liber!

"My question or request from the SWJ community is to provide suggestions in the best way to create and maintain this focused, IW learning portal. Going in position is "Don't care who gets credit for this - would love to have a consortium of sponsors / participants all considered equals in this endeavor. I'll be working with folks like JFCOM, Services, DOS, USAID, Brits, Canadians, Aussies, IA (SOCOM has LNOs within most major interagency orgs now), pvt security firms, select NGOs, and the UN for starters.

If anyone knows someone who is conducting research in this area (Modern Collaboration Techniques), please let me know.

I'm also looking for participants that have Subject Matter Expertise in the IW areas listed in the IW JOC (Insurgency/COIN, Terrorism/CT, Unconventional Warfare, Foreign Internal Defense, Stability and Support Operations, and "Understanding People" + the other areas to:
    1) Join the cause
    2) Provide access to their materials for the IW educational community
    3) Be willing to be a guest instructor
    4) Be willing to keep the community updated in their particular areas of expertise

If interested, please contact me via PM for additional details.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-27-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Contact details via PM added.

Quote Originally Posted by richyoung87 View Post
    "My question or request from the SWJ community is to provide suggestions in the best way to create and maintain this focused, IW learning portal. Going in position is "Don't care who gets credit for this - would love to have a consortium of sponsors / participants all considered equals in this endeavor. I'll be working with folks like JFCOM, Services, DOS, USAID, Brits, Canadians, Aussies, IA (SOCOM has LNOs within most major interagency orgs now), pvt security firms, select NGOs, and the UN for starters.

If anyone knows someone who is conducting research in this area (Modern Collaboration Techniques), please let me know.
    Alrighty.

1) The tech is the easy part. I imagine you are using IW to mean irregular warfare. I am not an expert at that.

2) If you want to create a portal think about your goals. I've consulted on social media sites that generate 100K views a minute and have my own blog with (100 views a day). The difference is the community that has interest. You need to know intimately the community that you wish to engage.

3) You have a few posts here on SWJ/C and if you want a portal to grow you need to be involved. SWJ/C has grown because the owners are absolute maniacs in their involvement. SWJ/C is a jewel among social media sites because it reflects the progenitors excellence.

4) Design, design, design and know what you are building from content on up. Trying to combine technologies after the fact sux.

5) Stay away from "social media experts". They aren't and they won't.

Ask questions should you desire.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default That's you SWC: the most vibrant professional debates

In a Tom Ricks guest column 'The decay of the profession of arms' fulsome praise for SWC:
    Up until now, the most vibrant professional debates have been almost exclusively hosted by privately run websites such as Small Wars Journal and Abu Muqawama.
    Link:http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts....t37SUW1I.dpuf

Note Abu M is no longer active.

The article is worth a read in total, although US Army-centric.
    davidbfpo

Default Moderator at work

Prompted by a "Digger's" comment (in a new thread) I have searched for similar thankyou messages and praise - hence three old, closed threads being merged today. I think there are more somewhere.

The title was SWJ model the future of academic literature; it will now become SWJ: praise given and reviews.

What the "Digger" wrote:
    the original leader in the field of online commentary from experienced military voices and commentators. The Small Wars Journal continues to be a learning mecca for junior commanders.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-12-2016 at 02:13 PM.
    davidbfpo

Default Nine years ago

Found just a comment in 2009 by Professor David Betz, Kings War Studies:
    The best and most established one-stop shop for insurgency related researchers and practitioners; part blog, part discussion forum, it also maintains an extensive library of links to other resources.
    Link:http://internationalstudies.oxfordre...j3re&result=43
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-20-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: 96,764v
    davidbfpo