Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Tom, I think we are in violent agreement - it is the will that is lacking. My point was that there is no political will to grease the wheels, tell the miscreants to shut-up-and-color, and get things done quickly. Even if Gates manages to get the Pentagon out of its DC mindset, there is the Congress and other factors that will continue to impede our ability to adjust rapidly. The political costs of going for a 75% solution are, sadly, quite high as well - look at the body armor controversy a few years ago. No one wants to vote for or award a contract on something that isn't 99% because when the shortcomings are revealed the DC blame-game will commence in earnest. I don't know, maybe I'm being too cynical, but I don't think these problems can be solved without the overwhelming support of the citizenry putting pressure on Washington to make the changes.
Agree 110%. I find the speed of development, fielding, and innovation to be the litmus for commitment to winning versus commitment to extended processes and higher costs. When folks were applauding just how great the new MRAP looked I was embarrassed that we have been so inept and angered that it cost Soldiers lives. Arrogant comments about "going to war with the Army you have" did not help; especially when we had units and Soldiers getting in hot water over aggressive logistics to keep their folks alive.

If we had done this in 1940, we'd be speaking German or maybe Japanese. Or Russian.

Tom