Thread: Crossing the line from Soldiering to campaigning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkm_101_fso View Post
    I'm talking about Duncan, Jr. He is a captain in the USMC-R. He is running for his dad's seat. He was in Afghanistan, last I knew. His wife was carrying on the campaign while he was deployed. I served with him in '02-'03.
    That sounds similar, but it's not the individual whom I am referring to. I recently learned that this guy managed to get out about 8 to 10 press releases about his return on mid-tour leave. I still wonder - when is the line crossed from Soldiering to campaigning. It seems like nothing more than a campaign stunt when a deployment suddenly arises at a time that is suspiciously convenient, involves little to no danger, mid-tour leave becomes a well-choreographed event, the wife actively campaigns in his absense and uses the deployment as a centerpiece of the campaign, and then upon his return, all of his ads are about "as an Iraq war veteran, I believe..."

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    That sounds similar, but it's not the individual whom I am referring to. I recently learned that this guy managed to get out about 8 to 10 press releases about his return on mid-tour leave. I still wonder - when is the line crossed from Soldiering to campaigning. It seems like nothing more than a campaign stunt when a deployment suddenly arises at a time that is suspiciously convenient, involves little to no danger, mid-tour leave becomes a well-choreographed event, the wife actively campaigns in his absense and uses the deployment as a centerpiece of the campaign, and then upon his return, all of his ads are about "as an Iraq war veteran, I believe..."
    Unfortunately for said politician, few folks care about Iraq anymore...democrat or republican. Now if he said "former wall st. banker"...
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?