Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Africom Stands Up 2006-2017

Council Member

Tom Barnett has been active in the AFRICOM debate. If you are familiar with his "future war" construct, he posits the development of a two component force -- Leviathan (kinetic, in & out lethal forces) and SysAdmin (longer dwell forces to establish order and infrastructure). His Esquire article on TF HOA captures his observations on how this functions on the ground.

His vision for AFRICOM is as a SysAdmin force, a truly interagency coordinating body. Commanded by a RETIRED 4-star, w/Ambassador as DCINC (oops -- we don't call them that anymore). Focus on developing security and infrastructure that wins the long conflict, but kill the bad guys who need killing.

I'm sure I do disservice to his very sophisticated argument.

Take a look at what some of the African Leaders are saying at All Africa DOT COM.

They are content at seeing the same thing (which is no suprise)...Welcome to the Heart of Darkness.

I understand we have til September 08 to get AFRICOM smokin', so there's still time to sell this Tuna Boat.

Who's the taker ?

I'm not starting a pole (they never, ever tell you who won), but my bet is Rwanda. A perfect tiny little NATO base, with land, sea and air access. Hell, Bill Gates was just there offering Windows and fast internet connects

It's money and status, little else.

Mugabe apparently sees a base in Botswana as a direct threat to his authoritarian rule. All the more reason to put one in there! IR

From The Nation (Kenya), 13 September

Plans to base US Africa Command in Botswana causes tension
    Kitsepile Nyathi

Harare - Plans by the United States military to set up the proposed Africa
    Command in Botswana will further polarise the Southern African Development
    Community (SADC) and delay regional integration because of the West's
    treatment of the Zimbabwe crisis, analysts have warned. Zimbabwe, which has
    become a divisive topic in the 14 nation block, has in the past spoken
    strongly against Botswana's decision to continue hosting Voice of America
    (VOA) transmitters. It claims they are being used by the US to transmit
    anti-Mugabe propaganda. Botswana has also repeatedly denied accusations by
    its neighbour that the US has a military base near the capital Gaborone,
    which might be used to effect regime change in Harare. After the explosive
    Lusaka SADC heads President Robert Mugabe reportedly walked out of a closed
    door session protesting against a frank assessment of the situation in
    Zimbabwe by his Zambian counterpart, Mr Levy Mwanawasa, the proposed US base
    has emerged as another poser for regional leaders. Mr Mugabe reportedly told
    a shell shocked, Mr Mwanawasa he was aware of meetings the Zambian leader
    held with Western intelligence about Zimbabwe. The SADC leadership is
    bitterly divided over Zimbabwe with leaders who led guerilla movements
    during liberation wars in the sub-region siding with Mr Mugabe, while the
    'new generation' of leaders such as Mr Mwanawasa and President Festus Mogae
    of Botswana have spoken strongly against Harare's human rights record.

Last week, President Mogae was forced to issue a statement on the proposed
    base to diffuse the storm but critics say he did little to allay fears that
    his country was collaborating with the West. "We have not taken a position
    (on AFRICOM) because we don't know how the animal will look like," he told
    University of Botswana students during a public lecture. "We are still
    discussing the issue." AFRICOM is a new unified combatant command of the US
    military with the responsibility of covering Africa. According to the US
    department of defence, the initial plans are to create a sub command under
    the supervision of the US European Command and must begin initial operations
    next month. The command will be temporarily housed at Kelley Barracks in
    Stuttgart, Germany until it is fully established in a yet to be determined
    African country by the end of September next year. Announcing plans to
    create the command in February, US president, Mr George W. Bush said it will
    "coordinate all US military and security interests throughout the
    continent." Mr Mogae revealed that Botswana was not the only country
    approached by the US to host the command saying discussions had also been
    held with South Africa. But Dr Themba Nhuka, a political analyst at the
    National University of Science and Technology (NUST) said the Mugabe
    government has seized news about the setting up of AFRICOM in Botswana to
    drive home its claims that some of its neighbours are working with the West
    to topple it from power. "Mugabe has a siege mentality," Dr Nhuka said. "To
    divert attention from the worsening crisis at home in the past, the
    government has taken issue with Botswana for hosting VOA radio transmitters
    that broadcast 'hostile' propaganda aimed at regime change by the Americans
    and they have now seized this AFRICOM story to their advantage."

He added that "unfortunately most SADC leaders buy into these claims because
    they regard Mr Mugabe as a liberation icon" and this will further alienate
    fellow leaders who see the Zimbabwean leader as a stumbling leader to
    regional integration and economic growth. In Botswana, Zimbabwe's argument
    seems to be gaining currency among Mr Mogae's opponents with the official
    opposition Botswana National Front (BNF) having already petitioned that
    country's parliament against AFRICOM.. "It is our duty as the BNF and indeed
    it is the duty of every Botswana citizen who cherishes peace, tranquility
    and democracy to vigorously prevent President George Bush from using
    Botswana as a spring board for his military and oil based economic
    manoeuvres," read the party's petition. SADC had set a target of next year
    to reach full regional integration but differences over issues such as
    immigration and on how to deal with states that refuse to adhere agreed
    democratic and political principles such as Zimbabwe are seen delaying its
    success. Mr Lloyd Nhuka of the University of Botswana says the setting up of
    AFRICOM in either Botswana or South Africa will further polarise the region
    as it would fuel suspicion among political leaders. He said some countries
    such as Zimbabwe "were challenging US hegemony" while others were seen
    embracing "the superpower's policies." Unfortunately SADC will become the
    battle ground for competing US and Chinese interests to the detriment of
    regional peace," he said.

Default Can't resist...

Two of my favorite cartoonists (Cox and Forkum) on Mugabe:

Default Two More...

Stan -- still getting the hang of this . Sorry, I don't have the link. The piece I copied was forwarded to me as a .txt file (easier to read on bberry), without the original link. I copied the entire story as forwarded. In the future I'll back-check it via google to be sure I've got the whole piece. That said, because of the nature of the forwarding service I'm pretty confident in the sourcing.
    -- Kurt

Banned

Default Africa rejects this one

And Africa means it.
    NO US base anywhere near anywhere. Here's a site that elaborates the determination and mobilization against it...
    Africa Against Africom DOT org

I love SWJED's avator, can I borrow it?

Default Now hold on just a second longer

Quote Originally Posted by african007 View Post
    And Africa means it.
    NO US base anywhere near anywhere. Here's a site that elaborates the determination and mobilization against it...
    Africa Against Africom DOT org

I love SWJED's avator, can I borrow it?
    The short answer to that question is NO !

Botswana: Botswana Discusses Africom

Maybe not such a bleak outlook afterall.

Nigeria: Gulf of Guinea - Govt Soft-Pedals On U.S. Military

Seems the oil-rich hardliner is having problems financing his cheap talk. I wouldn't wait for 'Africa Against AFRICOM' to post that trivial tidbit

So African007, it's one down and three to go

Default Lovely place for a base

I am sure ages ago I mentioned there is a huge American built air force base already in Botswana; it was pointed out when I flew from Joburg to Windhoek years ago. Described then as a "white elephant" and was sitting in the middle of the desert.

Check the maps for supply routes for a base in Botswana. Will Namibia, Angola, Zambia and Zimbabwe allow overflights? South Africa, which has a working transport infrastructure, is the only route in for supplies. Will they really co-operate?

Yes, business and money talk. So check how long the overland routes are.

How about sending a small expedition to try the base out? Remember the AIDS epidemic in Botswana is widely acknowledged as setting the country backwards.

I still say Ascension Island is suitable for the west coast of Africa. Yes, it is offshore, has an airfield (which you operate) and it is British - so we'd agree if asked.

Now back to my armchair.

davidbfpo

Hello David !
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    I am sure ages ago I mentioned there is a huge American built air force base already in Botswana; it was pointed out when I flew from Joburg to Windhoek years ago. Described then as a "white elephant" and was sitting in the middle of the desert.

Check the maps for supply routes for a base in Botswana. Will Namibia, Angola, Zambia and Zimbabwe allow overflights? South Africa, which has a working transport infrastructure, is the only route in for supplies. Will they really co-operate?

Yes, business and money talk. So check how long the overland routes are.

How about sending a small expedition to try the base out? Remember the AIDS epidemic in Botswana is widely acknowledged as setting the country backwards.
    Indeed a huge facility with great access. Here's a good picture from Airliners Dot Net. I think blanket overflights much like in the 80s and 90s are still fairly easy, with DAOs in most of the countries. Overflight and landing is an African cash cow, and the USAF needs gas and parking, and almost always pays

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    I still say Ascension Island is suitable for the west coast of Africa. Yes, it is offshore, has an airfield (which you operate) and it is British - so we'd agree if asked.

Now back to my armchair.

davidbfpo
    I have some very fond memories of Ascension. I would hop on one of Charleston's outbound 141s on a Tuesday and catch the return on Sunday afternoon. I managed to keep up with the Hash runs via HF on One Eleven upper, so knew exactly when the Hares from VC Beer Garden were hosting

Before we submit any requests, we may need to discuss that nasty habit of driving on the wrong side of the road

Regards, Stan

Default Fighting Exposes Children to Forced Recruitment, Exploitation

From All Africa via The UN News Service (New York), 19 September 2007

The situation of children in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has gone from bad to worse, with 60,000 people newly driven from their homes by fighting in North Kivu province, exposing youngsters to the dangers of forced recruitment and sexual exploitation, according to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).

The agency has received a report of 54 cases of children recruited in northeast Kivu "and to the west we've heard that there's forced recruitment of all males over the age of 15," Mr. Harneis said. "In the last couple of weeks, we believe that hundreds of children have been recruited into militias, which brings the total number of cases to well over 1,000."

Default DoD planning 5 regional teams under AFRICOM

Navy Times

DoD planning 5 regional teams under AFRICOM

By John T. Bennett - Staff writer
    Posted : Thursday Sep 20, 2007 5:40:35 EDT

Much of the work for U.S. Africa Command, the U.S. military’s newest geographic command, likely will be done by five teams, each deployed to and designed for a specific region of the continent.

The plans for these “regional integration teams” are still being laid, but Pentagon officials want a “split-based, tailored presence” there, not a one-size-fits-all approach that might produce dividends in one region but chaos in another, according to Defense Department documents prepared in mid-September.

One team will go to the northern, eastern, southern, central and western portions of the continent, mirroring the African Union’s five regional economic communities, the briefing documents say.

The idea is to “establish regional presence on the African continent which would facilitate appropriate interaction with existing Africa political-military organizations,” one of the Sept. 14 briefings says.

The regional teams will link to African Union organizations, “Africa stand-by force brigade headquarters [and] U.S. AID support hubs,” according to the slides.
    More at the above link
    Last edited by Steve Blair; 09-20-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Please respect copyright

Quote Originally Posted by kwtusn View Post
    Navy Times

DoD planning 5 regional teams under AFRICOM

More at the above link
    Man if I volunteered I know where my butt would be

No way

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post

Man if I volunteered I know where my butt would be

No way
    And IF you did volunteer, I know where my skinny alpha won't be

Default New AFRICOM Staff to be Mainly Situated Outside Africa

New AFRICOM Staff to be Mainly Situated Outside Africa - Stars and Stripes by Charlie Coon.

The U.S. military’s newest command, Africa Command, could have only a small minority of its people actually working on the continent.

Theresa Whelan, the deputy assistant secretary of defense for African affairs, told a Washington- based think tank last week that 80 percent of the command’s staff would live outside of Africa.

Whelan did not say where the majority of staff would be located, but the command, called AFRICOM, is currently forming up in Stuttgart, Germany. The Defense Department has previously called Stuttgart a temporary headquarters for AFRICOM.

The command is scheduled to begin initial operations on Monday. It would coordinate U.S. military activities on the continent such as military-to-military training and support of humanitarian missions...

Council Member Beelzebubalicious's Avatar

Default Trans-sahara Counterterrorism Initiative: Balance Of Power?

USAWC STRATEGY RESEARCH PROJECT

TRANS-SAHARA COUNTERTERRORISM INITIATIVE:BALANCE OF POWER?
    by
    Lieutenant Colonel Mary Jo Choate
    United States Marine Corps

"The military components of the TSCTI are solid, but there needs to be more investment in the other elements of national power, especially the Economic element. The U.S. needs to dig deep into its pockets, and convince the global community to do likewise, to support long-term programs to reduce poverty and social alienation. Although the TSCTI is touted as an interagency program, the majority of its “face” is military. The interagency partnerships and dovetailing programs are insufficiently tied to TSCTI, and the Information element of national power – both the Information Operations and Public Diplomacy, depending on whether the target audience is the bad guys or the good guys (the people of Africa; the taxpayers and elected officials at home in the U.S.) – needs to be leveraged more often and more effectively. This is how we win hearts, minds and future resources. A program without funding is a fantasy."

Council Member

Default The Manipulation of Maternal Instincts

help with filling the bellies, their minds will follow - start providing solar cooking devices to the women to free them up from gathering wood and dry dung all the time so they can spend more time at other tasks, like cooperative income generating projects - a partial solution, nothing more - as a bush mother once told me, " If didn't have to gather so much wood, I could have a bigger garden".

Personally, I'd stamp some propoganda on the side of the box that held the cooker: the cartouche of the all-seeing eye, below that on one side a little American flag with a woman bleow it shaking the hand of an African woman whose national flag is above her head. Food for thought, eh?

Default Winning Stomachs and guts?

I think you're on to something here. Forget about "winning hearts and minds", that's tired. It's all about winning stomachs and guts!

Council Member

Default U.S. Africa Command Reaches Initial Operating Capability

U.S. Africa Command
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Press Release 08-001
    October 1, 2007

Washington, DC – U.S. Africa Command, or AFRICOM, officially stood up today when the organization reached its "initial operating capability" (IOC) to start functioning as the Pentagon’s newest regionally-focused headquarters.
    General William E. "Kip" Ward was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on September 28 as AFRICOM's first commander.

AFRICOM’s IOC marks a realignment of the U.S. Defense Department’s regional command structure, creating one headquarters staff that is responsible to the Secretary of Defense for U.S. military relations with 53 countries on the African continent.
    www.africom.mil

Default Question

Will AFRICOM actually change USG policy in Africa, or will it only change the interagency coordination structure?