Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
Guys, the Africa Center for Security Studies (located on the NDU campus) has been in existence for several years. Its first Director was General Fullford USMC (ret.) and its Dean is African by birth with a PhD. The French participate in a way that is somewhat similar to the Marshall Center for the Germans. ACSS is one of the 5 DOD Regional Centers. Although most of its students are military, there are alos a number of civilians. ACSS, like the other centers, specializes in 2 - 3 week executive courses. Unlike the other centers, most of its work has been done in region (Africa). NESA and CHDS - also located at NDU - hold more of their courses on campus but also run programs in region.

to the best of my knowledge, ACSS has been well-received by the Africans.

Cheers

JohnT

John,

I am aware of the school but I differentiate between it and say CGSC/ILE or a career course where the foreign student goes to become one of a larger international body--or a hard skill warfighting course at Benning. I am guessing that COL Killibrew had the same in mind when he wrote the article we are discussing.

In that regard, I still favor the immersion of the exchange student versus the regionalization of education. In the case of the African branch so far from what I have garnered its objectives and its agenda have been limited and to my mind very much colored by its evolution as an extension of the Marshall Center--to wit the first thing we need to do for African militaries to build their capabilities for peacekeeping is to teach them MDMP.

Tom