Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Africom Stands Up 2006-2017

Default Western Failure?

Granted CENTCOM will retain mssion control for Somalia but this is an oppostunity for Africa Commad to better explain its role, especially when the same NGOs who are complaining about a militarization of assistance to Africa are complaining about Western failures in Somalia.

Frankly on the heels of the 15th anniversary of the Blackhawk down episode, I am more than cynical enough to say that while the West may have a secondary role in what has happened in Somalia in those 15 years (and the decades before them) the Somalis are the main architects.

Tom

West has failed Somalia, say aid agencies

The West has "completely failed" the people of Somalia and must refocus efforts to give humanitarian workers safer access to desperate civilians, 52 aid agencies said in a statement.More than 3.2 million people, almost half of the country's population, need immediate help, a 77 per cent rise since the beginning of the year, they said.

But there has never been a more dangerous time for international aid staff to try to deliver assistance as violence has soared, including the assassination or kidnapping of aid workers.

"The international community has completely failed Somali civilians," said the agencies' statement, signed by Oxfam, Merlin, Save The Children and 49 others.

Default Africom Stands Up

Africom Stands Up
    by Colonel Robert Killebrew, Small Wars Journal Op-Ed

Africom Stands Up (Full PDF Article)

On the first day of October, the new United States Africa Command (Africom) became fully operational. The last major action proposed by former defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld, the new command is chartered to support U.S. military and diplomatic initiatives across a huge continent and among an enormously diverse population. It's no secret that the decision to establish the command was controversial in Africa, and that reception initially ranged from cool to frosty, though that is said to be warming slightly.

Certainly the new command is making every effort to appear helpful and collaborative. The four-star command has two deputy commanders, one three-star for military operations and one ambassador for civil-military relations; its mission statement and other supporting guidance focus on "soft" activities like conflict prevention, consultation and aid. Signally, the title "combatant command," another holdover from the Rumsfeld era, does not appear, replaced instead by "regional military command" and the more historic "unified command." Considering the state of affairs on the African continent, this is all to the good.
    Africom Stands Up (Full PDF Article)

Good article as I would expect from this author.

On his essential points:

A. First, it's essential that every member of the command understand the essentially modest contribution that a headquarters of 1300 people can actually make in Africa, True. the main contribution of that HQs is focus: on the continent and about the continent in Washington DC.

B. Second, do not underestimate the great value of American diversity. While the conditions of the African diasporas to the United States was tragic, the consequences are that Africa is the ancestral home to a huge number of Americans, forging common ties of blood and kin not found with any other major power. Maybe but do not overplay this. Africans see African-Americans as Americans. The continent is not Ireland and the Quiet Man scenario does not play very well. Frankly my African contacts often saw attempts to play this card as pandering.

C. Third, given the scope and diversity of the continent, Africom's activities will necessarily bring the command much closer to U.S. diplomatic missions and the chiefs of missions, the resident U.S. Ambassador.
    Absolutely and it is here that Africom can make its greatest contribution with that 1300 person staff--that is to say connecting country team goals and initiatives in a coordinated campaign plan that Africcom can support with money, personnel, and influence. Getting an Ambassador who willing works with his military partners and having a military partner who understands who is charge makes for a wonderful partnership. I enjoyed such a partnership in Rwanda and we did great things as a result.

D. Fourth, the Africom staff, teamed with appropriate Department of Defense officials, should propose and support legislation designed to untangle the present laws and regulations governing military assistance. Absolutely. And the entire security assistance budget needs to be realigned on need, not political influence.

E. Fifth, and along the lines of military assistance, the number of African military officers attending U.S. military schools should be ramped up.
    Another big thumbs up. The attendance of African students is a learning experience for the student, the institution, and the other students. I dare say that US officers could stand to learn much from Rwandan officers when it comes to irregular warfare. Shared costs is a great idea; I would take it further. If it is important enough to offer a seat, offer payment for that seat according to needs.

F. Finally, Africom should vigorously resist the well-meaning suggestion, made in some quarters, that special schools or courses should be organized for African officers. Roger that! The very suggestion would be insulting.

On the idea of Africom in the US,
    perhaps. The suggested strengths of diversity might play a greater positive role under such a set up.

Tom

Africom is indeed a great opportunity.

As a European military, I do consider it as positive for the European military system too. Often, we do plan and do operations in Africa (Artemis or Eufor Kinshasa in DRC, Eufor Tchad,...) as part of the EU system. Having one interlocutor on the US military side will allow better coordination and possibly mutual assistance for both US and EU forces.

I hope they will also engage European capitals (very protective of their influence in Africa), make them understand Africom is not a threath (in terms of influence in Africa) but a partner. Some Liaison officers from France, UK, Portugal, Belgium, Germany,EU,...in Africom might be very usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
    Africom is indeed a great opportunity.

As a European military, I do consider it as positive for the European military system too. Often, we do plan and do operations in Africa (Artemis or Eufor Kinshasa in DRC, Eufor Tchad,...) as part of the EU system. Having one interlocutor on the US military side will allow better coordination and possibly mutual assistance for both US and EU forces.

I hope they will also engage European capitals (very protective of their influence in Africa), make them understand Africom is not a threath (in terms of influence in Africa) but a partner. Some Liaison officers from France, UK, Portugal, Belgium, Germany,EU,...in Africom might be very usefull.
    Agree Michael. When EUCOM had the mission, regardless of type, ie training, humanitarian, military assistance, demining or whatever, the first step was always reorienting a Europe focused organization on an entirely different region with its own complexities. The two standard problems are always distance to be overcome and communications. Transverse Mercator maps exacerbate the problem of distance; the DRC is the size of Western Europe as you well know, Michael. And even countries well experienced on the continent are challenged by those realities--France turned to contract air with Ukranian and Russian platforms in Operation Turquoise. They very quickly drained the region of aviation fuel. US TRANSCOM ended up refueling the critical nodes to keep the short and medium range aircraft flying during Support Hope. In all of this we were damn lucky that we had access to a cellular phone system in Goma.

Tom

Default Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    F. Finally, Africom should vigorously resist the well-meaning suggestion, made in some quarters, that special schools or courses should be organized for African officers. Roger that! The very suggestion would be insulting.
    Tom
    What about a school modeled after WHNSEC (old School of the Americas), the Asia Pacific Center in Hawaii, or the Marshall Center in Germany? Why would it be an insult if we established a regional school just as we have done for Latin America, Asia, and Europe (but I guess to be fair we should establish one for the Middle East as well). Of course we do have some regional schools at the National Defense University already and I believe there is one for Africa there.

Dave
    David S. Maxwell
    "Irregular warfare is far more intellectual than a bayonet charge." T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by max161 View Post
    What about a school modeled after WHNSEC (old School of the Americas), the Asia Pacific Center in Hawaii, or the Marshall Center in Germany? Why would it be an insult if we established a regional school just as we have done for Latin America, Asia, and Europe (but I guess to be fair we should establish one for the Middle East as well). Of course we do have some regional schools at the National Defense University already and I believe there is one for Africa there.

Dave
    Quite simply because it is a hot button issue, dealing with colonialism. Remember that the colonial period for the continent extended to 1980--depending on how you look at Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. That is the primary reason. Africom has stubbed its toe on this issue from the beginning.

Second is the reason for the schooling. If it is seen as a broadening expereince for the potential students then the separate schools idea pretty much kills that from the get go.

Third goes back to the first but place ii inside a US domestic political debate; does "separate but equal" ring a bell? I guarantee that such a bell would be rung. Remember also that in creating School of the Americas, we created a political lightning rod for the debate that raged around central America issues in the 1980s.

As Colonel Killibrew put it, the idea is well-meaning but laden with pitfalls.

Tom

I would also echo Tom's comments with the fact that previous attempts at getting some African officers to "graduate" or even receive a certificate of completion was abysmal. The US Military course curriculum was far too advanced for most of our candidates (in addition to weak English). In certain cases we sent officers to NCO courses and even that barely worked out.

The ghettoization of African officers to second-rate schools -- for that is exactly how it would be perceived on the continent -- would be deeply resented, and would frustrate the strategic intent of schooling foreign officers in American classes, alongside American counterparts.
    Regards, Stan
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Good piece from the SWJ Daily Round Up by Austin Bey:

Into AFRICOM
    By Austin Bay

With the establishment of the Pentagon's new regional command for Africa, AFRICOM, addressing the complex political and social challenges of the African continent moves from diplomatic afterthought to shrewd long-term effort. The new theater command became operational Oct. 1.

For decades, American diplomats serving in Africa — particularly sub-Saharan Africa — referred to their region as "the neglected continent." I recall a conversation in the early 1990s with a U.S. Army officer tasked with supporting military attaches serving in embassies in southern Africa. Over breakfast he lamented the persistent lack of funds and personnel hampering State Department and Pentagon programs. U.S. military command structure reflected the "afterthought" status. Operations and assistance programs for most of Africa were administered by U.S. European Command (USEUCOM). Central Command (CENTCOM) had a chunk of Africa's northeast. Pacific Command (PACOM) was responsible for islands off Africa in the Indian Ocean.
    As one of those officers I would say, Amen! Keep in mind that in 1993 as DIA Cold Warriors huddled to stay relevant, their linear thinking ran that every newly emergent former Warsaw Pact or Soviet Union republic need a DAO and the place to get them was from Africa. That was why DHS consolidated the old Africa bureau of the DAS with the old Middle East bureau. it was also why my first boss in DHS and African FAO and last Africa Bureau chief wanted to close Zaire in 1993.

Tom

I would also add...

The headquarters' mission statement emphasizes interagency cooperation. AFRICOM "in concert with other U.S. government agencies and international partners, conducts sustained security engagement ... to promote a stable and secure African environment in support of U.S. foreign policy."
    That had we even had symbolic support from the Embassy, we could have accomplished far more. Even in Sub-Sahara's heyday with 7 countries of accreditation, we as US Military felt out of place at the country team. Direction and financial support is but one minor element when implementing 7 million dollars with a 6-man team (with a hamstrung embassy of over 500 official employees and 2,000 locals)

Interagency cooperation — particularly State Department integration — is absolutely essential. That's why AFRICOM's deputy commander is a career Foreign Service officer.
    I'd rather not comment on that one at this time

Council Member

Tom,
    Africa Command has mission authority for Somalia. Central Command retains its authority over the Gulf of Aden, where the majority of Somali-based piracy takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    Tom,
    Africa Command has mission authority for Somalia. Central Command retains its authority over the Gulf of Aden, where the majority of Somali-based piracy takes place.
    Thanks Vince!

That actually makes sense. And it makes the IO opportunity for Africom even greater. It is therefore classiNGO doublespeak to say we don't want a military com,mand for Africa even as they bemoan the need for greater security in Somalia.

Tom

Default Happy Birthday AFRICOM

A little insight from Derek Reveron, October 01, 2008

Today marks the birth of the U.S. Africa Command
    , “the culmination of a 10-year thought process within the Department of Defense (DoD) acknowledging the emerging strategic importance of Africa...

Those looking for big, bold initiatives from AFRICOM will likely be disappointed. As Nick Gvosdev noted in an earlier New Atlanticist post, the command won’t be funded at expected levels. As is painfully obvious, the lion’s share of our military resources are being devoted to Iraq and Afghanistan, so there should be no worries about American forces flowing into Africa for good or ill purpose. Instead, AFRICOM will be an economy of force effort.

Council Member

Default Regarding schools

Guys, the Africa Center for Security Studies (located on the NDU campus) has been in existence for several years. Its first Director was General Fullford USMC (ret.) and its Dean is African by birth with a PhD. The French participate in a way that is somewhat similar to the Marshall Center for the Germans. ACSS is one of the 5 DOD Regional Centers. Although most of its students are military, there are alos a number of civilians. ACSS, like the other centers, specializes in 2 - 3 week executive courses. Unlike the other centers, most of its work has been done in region (Africa). NESA and CHDS - also located at NDU - hold more of their courses on campus but also run programs in region.

to the best of my knowledge, ACSS has been well-received by the Africans.

Cheers

JohnT

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    Guys, the Africa Center for Security Studies (located on the NDU campus) has been in existence for several years. Its first Director was General Fullford USMC (ret.) and its Dean is African by birth with a PhD. The French participate in a way that is somewhat similar to the Marshall Center for the Germans. ACSS is one of the 5 DOD Regional Centers. Although most of its students are military, there are alos a number of civilians. ACSS, like the other centers, specializes in 2 - 3 week executive courses. Unlike the other centers, most of its work has been done in region (Africa). NESA and CHDS - also located at NDU - hold more of their courses on campus but also run programs in region.

to the best of my knowledge, ACSS has been well-received by the Africans.

Cheers

JohnT

John,

I am aware of the school but I differentiate between it and say CGSC/ILE or a career course where the foreign student goes to become one of a larger international body--or a hard skill warfighting course at Benning. I am guessing that COL Killibrew had the same in mind when he wrote the article we are discussing.

In that regard, I still favor the immersion of the exchange student versus the regionalization of education. In the case of the African branch so far from what I have garnered its objectives and its agenda have been limited and to my mind very much colored by its evolution as an extension of the Marshall Center--to wit the first thing we need to do for African militaries to build their capabilities for peacekeeping is to teach them MDMP.

Tom

Council Member

Default "US in 'Cold War Mode' in Africa"

http://www.military.com/news/article...tml?ESRC=eb.nl

"In hundreds of military training programs from the Sahara to the Seychelles, the U.S. is quietly bolstering Africa's ragtag armies to fight extremism so the Pentagon won't have to. Some experts have taken to calling this strategy -- not always admiringly -- "America's African Rifles" after Britain's 19th Century colonial troops." Chicago Tribune

Chicago Tribune reporting on AFRICOM and HOA. Not a bad piece but if you won a Pultizer for reporting on the Congo in 2000, I would hope for a better grasp of US efforts on the continent since the 1950s. Then again this is entertainment.

War on terror's hidden front
    U.S. military quietly trying to wage peace in Africa
    By Paul Salopek | Tribune correspondent

IN THE AFAR TRIANGLE, Djibouti - The desert is a war.

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Cynthia Ramirez roared through it in an unmarked Land Cruiser, projecting the awesome might of the U.S. military into a wasteland little seen, much less penetrated, by outsiders. The landscape was like a slap—an eye-stinging waste of salt pans and glass-blue mountains that was still inhabited by Muslim warrior-nomads, the Afar, tough customers who long ago had swapped their traditional spears for Kalashnikovs.

Behind Ramirez, in an expanding cone of dust, bucked three more Toyotas, an Army truck loaded with corrugated metal sheeting, and 14 armed, sweating American soldiers and sailors. Their improbable objective: reroof a school at a fly-speck nomad camp called Lahossa.

...Vast, unstable, beautiful and poor, Africa was never supposed to present a threat to the United States. The last time the U.S. military paid any serious attention to the continent was two decades ago, during the Cold War, when American weaponry and advisers stoked proxy battles there against the Soviet Union.

yeah more of the Chicago Trib's recent discovery of AFRICOM

I just posted another Trib piece here

Not a bad article although I certainly expected more. I do however like the continued use of Ramirez.

Sorry, a relatively naive view on Africa and just how much we have done on the dark continent. Salopek has established just how much cash we need to prop up Africa, once and for all. Now all we need to do is figure out where that cash is. Congrats, you are light years ahead of the world's top thinkers

... Her men, meanwhile, stewed in their vehicles, debating the differences between Kmart and Wal-Mart.

A 15-year Army veteran, Ramirez was the closest thing the U.S. had to a hardened campaigner in the mold of the colonial troops that Europe once fielded across the world a century ago.

Default Africa Command Welcomes Army Component

Africa Command Welcomes Army Component - SWJ Blog (via PAO Release)

Southern European Task Force cased its old colors, ending the airborne chapter of its history, and uncased its new colors signifying acceptance of its new mission as the Army component in support of US Africa Command in a ceremony here today. The ceremony followed an official announcement by the US and Italian governments Dec. 3 in Rome that SETAF would become US Army Africa.

“We are honored and privileged to be the first members of US Army Africa,” Army Major General William B. Garrett III, SETAF commanding general, said. “This is a huge responsibility, as our decisions and actions will establish the foundation that others will build upon in the years ahead.”

Army General William E. “Kip” Ward, commander of US Africa Command, and Army General Carter Ham, commander of US Army Europe and 7th Army, attended the ceremony, which highlighted SETAF’s long, proud history.

“I welcome all of you to the US Africa Command team,” Ward said. “I am confident that this great command is up to the challenge.”

Garrett, who was promoted from brigadier general to major general earlier today, said that while SETAF’s mission has changed, its relationship with the command’s Italian partners will not.

“The enduring relationship between the United States and Italy will only get stronger; new opportunities will spring from common objectives and a shared vision for a prosperous Africa,” he said.

SETAF, stationed in Italy since 1955, has a long history of operating on the African continent and working with African nations. During the past 15 years, SETAF has provided crisis response, disaster relief and humanitarian assistance on the continent.

During the next year, SETAF soldiers will learn and grow to lay the foundation for future success as US Army Africa, Garrett said. This foundation includes building and strengthening relationships with African army organizations, along with national and international partners, to promote peace, security and stability in Africa, he said.
    Southern European Task Force Transformation Ceremony - MG William Garrett, Small Wars Journal

On behalf of the entire SETAF team, I would like to thank the leadership at U.S. Africa Command and U.S. Army Europe, who have been instrumental in helping us transform to assume our new role.

We are honored and privileged to be the first members of U.S. Army Africa. This is a huge responsibility, as our decisions and actions will establish the foundation that others will build upon in the years ahead.

In Africa, we face a set of security challenges that may be unprecedented in complexity and scope – presenting dilemmas that do not lend themselves to a simple choice between use of force or diplomacy.

Members of the international community have long asked for increased global attention to African issues – particularly since genocide, ethnic cleansing, rape, acts of terror, and crimes against humanity have come to symbolize modern conflict in Africa.

The creation of Africa Command, and now U.S. Army Africa, reflects our Nation’s determination to commit to a lasting security relationship with Africa – a long neglected continent whose impoverished people remain vulnerable to the ideology of violent extremism...